USB hard drive vs. USB flash drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phredrick, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Phredrick

Phredrick Private E-2

I am attempting to hook an external USB HDD up to my car receiver head unit via its USB input. The HU reads mp3s from flash drives fine but not my Western Digital 40gb Passport. The manual that came with the receiver says to use flash drives only. Is there a fundamental difference between ext. HDD and Flash drives that would prevent me from using ext. HDD with my HU? Could the problem be not enough power to the HDD? The LED comes on. Thanks.

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Ahhh, I remember back in the days when car mp3 players were unix based.

Anyway, unless some site has a firmware hack for you car player, I think you are outta luck.

What model/brand of car receiver do you have? I'm looking to upgrade my 2 year old car mp3 receiver (as long as it has xm capabilities.....)

3. Targon

Targon Private E-2

Flash drives identify themselves differently than hard drives. Even though both use USB, they require different "drivers" in order to work.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds