print spooler service

Discussion in 'Software' started by izekoldma`, Jun 19, 2006.

1. izekoldma`

izekoldma` Private E-2

Not so long ago I had a problem with accessing my printer device and printing from my computer. I found the problem was that I ended the spoolsv.exe system process tree and the bigger problem was that i also deleted all the files associated with that process and emptied the recycle bin. So I tried System Restore, but the computer wouldn't let me. I thought I had no choice but to buy a new XP CD (since I don't have mine) and reinstall windows. In the end, I thought about trying something very simple. I asked my cousin if he could copy the files (spoolsv and spoolss.dll) and send them to me. I got them, placed them under C:\Windows\system32 and double clicked on spoolsv to run the application. It Worked! Now I can print again and add printers, which I wasn't able to do before.

I took time to write this because I had a lot of trouble trying to fix this problem on my own. To make sure you don't encounter a similar problem, you should make sure to research any file you want to get rid of first even if it seems kind of suspicious. DO NOT PERMENTANTLY DELETE THEM RIGHT AWAY. You should make sure your system restore is working. Have at least one good restore date. If you have none, then:
    . go to control panel
    . Performance and Maintainance
    . click on system restore
    . system restore settings
    . check "Turn off System Restore"
    . restart your computer
    . go back to the same place and uncheck
    . restart computer
    . NOTE: all the dates you had will be deleted
    . create a new restore point once you've fixed your problem.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Excellent advice! It's a shame so many people have to learn the hard way!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds