Audio Video issues after reinstall

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by star_spun, Apr 13, 2009.

1. star_spun

star_spun Private E-2

Hi I make no claims to being technically inclined with computers, but I do have a tech writing degree and understand how to understand your language!!

I run a Dell Dimension 8300 - only new hardware is the HD which is a Seagate 250Gig drive. I have 512 memory. I run Avast! protection and haven't done anything fancy to the machine (and would prefer not to!)

I had to wipe and reinstall everything after my HD seized up last year. I got a "guy" to do the HD replacement and he installed a dirty version of XP Media Center (which I can't figure out why he did that when I had the authentic discs for him - anyway). In an update last month, I was notified that my XP wasn't Authentic, and slowly the functionality of my system closed up. I wiped my drive, reinstalled XP and updated all service packs etc. (although I think I made my partition to big <shrugs - would that make a problem?>

The computer is up and running, and internet enabled BUT. . .when I use the computer, the window movement is choppy and there is no sound.

When I try to install the driver for sound, I get a message the the machine isn't detecting the sound card (Sound Blaster) - I haven't even tried to figure out the Video problem yet. <whimper>

So, a hobby tech friend of mine helped me (via phone long distance) when I had to crawl into the tower to check plugs, cards and kill all the spiders. I resolved a memory undetectable issue (that popped up yesterday) last night and have DL'd all the required drivers to make my AV function. . . HOWEVER - the device manager says all devices are working properly, BUT the drivers are still noted with the yellow question mark - I still have no sound or good video and the computer doesn't seem to have any sound blaster notes on it.

As I said, I've opened the case, checked all the wires and made certain the cards were stable. After we installed all the stuff last year there was no trouble with AV and until I had to reinstalled all the XP stuff this past month, things were fine.

Some advice as to whats next would be infinitely helpful

2. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Take your sound card out and put it in another PCI slot (similar slot to where you have taken it from) As far as the AV function goes have you used your Motherboard driver instalation disc. ?? The graphics driver should be on there and if need be update it when installed.

3. star_spun

star_spun Private E-2

Hey Toke, thanks for the reply,

I'll take out the card and do as you've suggested.

motherboard installation disc?! Isn't that the discs that came with my computer (that didn't work when I reinstalled and had to find it all on line and cart it from the laptop to the space station). . . eeekkk!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds