Windows not starting up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dmaestro, Nov 18, 2004.

1. dmaestro

dmaestro Private E-2

Hi, I've searched the forums to see if any has had this problem, but so far it's just been video driver issues. I recently purchased a new eVGA Geforce4 6800GT, installed it and it worked perfectly until...jsut starting this week, every morning when i turn the computer on, it'll show the progress bar on teh bottom (not the one with windows one top) and then my monitor will go blank and idle. I then restart the computer and it asks me to start up in Safe Mode...the only fix I have found is by reinstaling the video driver everytime this happenes. I am considereing re-formating and seeing how that works. Oh and also a weird tidbit, it only started happening after I installed a new pioneer dvd burner but it might also be caused by Half Life 2. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Typically for problems like this, you need to remove hardware to find the problem. Disconnect the CD drive, though I doubt thats the problem since the driver reinstall makes it sound like video.

Never video cards must have the latest DirectX, do you have that:
    http://majorgeeks.com/download2924.html

Also, motherboard drivers are important, you didnt bother to give system specs, so cant give you a link for that.

Did you properly uninstall the last video card from add remove programs and control panel?

3. dmaestro

dmaestro Private E-2

Sorry about not giving any system specs, I was in a rush this morning, anyways..I believe I uninstalled the old card...however is tehre a way to make sure I did? (not sure if this is the problem b/c the car has been working fine up til now) Well then, the specs:
    Asus A7N8X with nForce2 mobo
    AMD Athlon 2500+ o'ced to 2700+
    1 gig Corsair Select Value DDR
    80gig Seagate
    eVGA nVidia GeForce4 6800GT 256mb
    Pioneer DVR-108 DVD+/- R/RW burner
    (slave) TDK 48x12x48 CD-R/RW burner

Also...I ran all of the virus / spyware programs in safe mode in a thread I read earlier to make sure nothing was going on that was making the driver weird...but it is still doing it, everytime I restart up the computer, I need to reboot in safe mode and re-install the video card driver, should I reformat my computer?

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Ok, you can check add\remove programs.

With that board and a new video card like that, drivers MUST be current before putting the card in and I bet thats your problem.

You need these:
    http://majorgeeks.com/download3294.html
    and
    http://majorgeeks.com/download4299.html

And directX if not already done and see if she goes.

Answer to formatting is that if it is a driver issue, you will be back to a blank screen on first boot, so try those drivers.

5. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

To check for old video cards, right click My Computer, and click properties. The device manager tab will have video adapters as one of the drop menus. If it's open, with other adapters there, you've got a problem. What was the last video adapter you had?

6. dmaestro

dmaestro Private E-2

Alright, well i DLed the 2 drivers, and the DX9 one. Uninstalled all the old stuff and rebooted into safe mode, ran DC (Driver Cleaner) and cleaned the Cabs and Driver files, then restarted again into regular mode. Installed all the drivers and once again rebooted. Got everything set-up and I'm where I'm at right now. Everything seems to be working fine, my only hope is that it won't happen tomorrow morning when I start it up. Thank you very much for all the help, I'm sure glad I found these forums.

And in response to Triaxx2, my old card was a nVidia GeForce4 4200Ti 128mb. When I checked in Device Manager, it didn't appear there.

7. dmaestro

dmaestro Private E-2

Well the worst that could happen, happened. I tried to start up this monring and the same thing happened, it goes through the set-up screen (shows me my hardware and stuff) and then i hear a hard drive noise, then my screen goes idle...I really thought this would've been the end of my problems, so any suggestions now?

8. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Try booting to a floppy, and recovering anything you can to floppy, and then reformat your hard drive. Reinstall everything, from the bottom up.

9. dmaestro

dmaestro Private E-2

Well, I was thinking about backing up most of my files to a DVD, then reformating everything. I was also wondering, should i do a full reformat, like the complete HD? or jsut the partition with the WinXP installation?

10. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

You've got multiple partitions? Reformatting just the WinXP partition might do the trick. A fresh install is always useful.

11. dmaestro

dmaestro Private E-2

Yeah, I have the drive partitioned into 2 parts, a C drive for the WinXP install and drivers and a D drive for games and apps, etc... Also, i've made a new discovery on this subject, I came home and the same thing happened, but when i restarted into safe mode and tried not reinstalling the driver, but jsut restarting the computer, it worked. Now I'm not sure if its the video cards fault or jsut the XP install. Would turning off System Restore have anything to do with it?

12. Sgtmackenzie

Sgtmackenzie Private E-2

Might this be an issue with the power supply? The reason I'm thinking it may be is because the problem started after installing a card that draws more power than your old one(I believe) as well as the DVD-Burner which are usually power hogs.

13. dmaestro

dmaestro Private E-2

Well, I have a Antec True Power 380Watt power supply, should that be enough?

14. Sgtmackenzie

Sgtmackenzie Private E-2

I personally would 1) Unplug the new DVD and see if I was having the same problems, and/or 2)Swap out the PSU with a 400 or better and see if I was having the same problems.

15. dmaestro

dmaestro Private E-2

Well. unplugging the DVD burner didn't help, and I'm pretty sure a 380 could hadle its self pretty well, the minimum requirements for the 6800GT is a 350Watt, so it should be alright. I'm gonna reformat tonight and see if that does anything....hopefully SP2 will fix this.

16. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

I'd very much consider reformatting the WinXP partition then. Burn the DVD, but also copy the files to the D partition. Never just back up once. See if that solves your problem.

17. dmaestro

dmaestro Private E-2

Well I finished doing that last night, however, It happened today as well. I started it up and the screen went idle, but with a reset of the computer it went fine...I really dunno what the problem with it is, but @least i can jsut reset it each time it does this.

18. dmaestro

dmaestro Private E-2

Ok, new discovery on this issue, whenever it does a faulty start up, my HD spins and makes a loud whirling noise, only lasts about a second or 2 and then my monitor goes idle and the HD light stays on for the remainder of the time. Could it be a bad HD or power issues?

19. Chadwick

Chadwick Private E-2

..and I thought I was having grief...
    Good luck man.
    Hope it all comes together.

20. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

I'm not sure I want to think about hard drives at the moment. I've had massive troubles with them in the past, and it still stings.

21. dmaestro

dmaestro Private E-2

well @least i dont have to boot up in safe mode anymore, just a simple restart does the trick...then again it is kinda annoying

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds