Help Changing My Computer Case With A New Case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superstar, Mar 14, 2006.

1. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

Okay let me start by saying I am sick of my current pc case. I have an "HP Vectra VL400", and I really want to change the case and get a new one. I have heard about ATX, Micro ATX, yadda yadda yadda. Like I know what any of these mean! All I know is I have this pc and this is how it looks:

HP Vectra VL400:

[​IMG]

As you can see it lays flat on the ground like a vcr. lol. Many moronic friends of mine told me I could'nt change the case on this pc but I than decided to take my pc to a store and let a pro look at it anyway. I told him the exact case I wanted (he is actually selling the case at the same store right now).

This is the case:
    (CD-TK8600 Ivory & Black w/ 350w power supply $45.00 Canadian)
    http://www.task.com.tw/tk8600.htm

He looked at the inside of my "HP Vectra VL400", and examined the back of my pc:

Back of my HP Vectra VL400:
    [​IMG]

And said the long awaited words I had been waiting to hear. That it was POSSIBLE to change the case to the one I want! He said it can be done but that all I need is one thing. He said I would need some sort of fan for the pc... Umm that's where my questions begin. Here look, I'm going to show you. Examine the following pics of the inside of my pc. And take a good look at the power supply unit and how theres a black thing covering it. He said something about needing to buy a fan to cool the processor or something, for once everything is taken out of my HP and put in the other case. Because he said that the power supply unit in my HP has a custom built cooling method or box or whatever (that black thing in the pics covering the processor), that goes to cool my processor, etc. He said it's like a custom vent that HP made using the psu. But he said that my pc can still go into a new case. So take a good look at the following pics, examine my system, and you will see what I mean.

Inside my HP Vectra VL400:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now he never got to the point as in what type of cooler, or fan, etc. And where to put it, place it, screw it on location in the box, or rest it. I took it to a next pc store and the dude did the same thing. After I had asked both men said they would charge me 35 dollars to change the cases for me, and not to worry about it. That they would take care of it. And they dropped the coversation there as to not give me a hint on what I would need or how I can do it myself. They did this because they obviously want money. Sure I said! Ya Right! I don't want to get ripped off. & that's why I'm asking you guys. I know I'm capable of changing the cases on my own with the knowledge I have learned so far. & Since I don't know this part of my personal process, I wanted to ask you all to see if you could tell me so I can buy the exact fan/cooler I need to, and do it myself. (the cheapest one, or type prefered! - You dont have to tell me an exact brand name etc. As long as it's like a universal type I can find at any pc store anywhere for cheap). So heres the first question.

What type of fan/cooler will I need to replace the custom cooling that is in my HP when I change cases, and where should it go/be screwed onto?

By the way I have two or three places to connect a fan (from what they said at the store). Which I asked them to point out before so. Here are the pics of that, and the descriptions of what it says next to the connections on my motherboard, and how many pins the connection has:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Are any of these relevant? I'm sure one of these is where I'm supposed to connect whatever it is I'm supposed to buy.

See I know how to do and put in the following devices in a case:

- A hard drive
    - A floppy drive
    - an optical cd drive
    - Pci and Agp cards
    - Pentium chip
    - The metal thing that goes over the chip. with tall pointy things all over it
    etc.

The only things I don't know how to do is put in a power supply and how to plug the new reset and power plug wires onto a motherboard. Some people say its simple. But I don't know if I'm gonna need adapters or anything to covert a plug. lol. I'm thinking like this is me heading over to europe with an american beard shaver trying to put it in the wall and using a special plug adapter. lol. The new case comes with a 350watt psu. Well here is a brief description of my main power supply connection on my motherboard, (that comes straight out of the psu and feeds right into my mobo).

Psu to mobo 1:

[​IMG]

Psu to mobo 2:

[​IMG]

& last but not least here is the reset wires and plugs to my mobo:

[​IMG]

What am I supposed to buy other than the new case (that comes with a 350watt psu)? Any adapters for the resest buttons? Any extra plugs in case the reset wires dont fit?

If you need to know my motherboard in full detail look for the model "HP Vectra VL400" manual. In the manuals section of the hp website. And look at the pdf file diagrams. In order to give me more details you know?
    & also look at the new case I want and its specs and diagram here:

(CD-TK8600 Ivory & Black w/ 350w power supply $45.00 Canadian)

If there is anything I need to know please tell me. Any and all information from as many people will help. I will look at it all. Please help me so I can go get this new case. I have been waiting for it for a long time. Let me know what I need with the new case other than the case and the 350watt psu provided. I dont want to get ripped off by the store keeper for expensive things I probably dont need.

And please let me know where I will have to connect the new fan or accessory i need and where i can screw it on. According to the details I have given you in the pics of the pin/fan/whatever connections they showed me.

And can someone tell me if the power supply will work on my new mobo. I'm thinking it will because its ages newer. and the store guy said it would.
    If I need any sort of adapters for reset buttons etc. anything let me know.

ALL INFORMATION IS WELCOME. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR DEDICATION AND TIME!

AND FOR THE RECORD THE PC STORE CLERK SAID MY MOTHERBOARD IS FINE AND IT WILL FIT IN THAT SMALL NEW BOX. (theres two of them, the small new case, and a bigger version of the new case). He only has the smaller one though! lol.

2. superstar

Note: Psu to mobo pic 1 and psu to mobo pic 2 are shots of the same thing from different angles.

Is any of this fan stuff needed or are they trying to just rip me off at that store? Maybe I don't need any sort of cooling. do I? Or are they just trying to make some money. because can't my pc just run in the new box without what they were saying to me?

THANX YA'LL

P.S.
    My questions are in red font so use that as a reference to answer my questions.

3. Steeev

Steeev Corporal

Hi Superstar.
    Not getting your pics on the forum. May be due to the filter running on my work computer, but worth checking out.
    Only problem I can imagine, assuming the motherboard is ATX standard, is that if it's custom built for HP, there may not be any fixing brackets around the CPU for attaching a heatsink and cooler.
    One thing I can say is that attaching a PSU LOOKS daunting, but in fact is one of the easiest things to do.
    Four screws hold it into the top - back of the case, and you plug everything in (there is a 4-pin ATX power cable and 20 pin motherboard cable which plug into the motherboard, and then you connect the 4-pin molex cables into your HHD and CDROM drives, and the dinky one is for your floppy drive. Simple as that.)

4. superstar

Steeev Said,
    I can see my pics on my post, and so can the friends that I've called to verify it. So can someone please read my post and look at the pics, and answer my questions. My questions are in red font to make it easier for ya'll to answer.

5. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

BTW i can see your pics fine, its probably the work filter he mentioned)

Since your HP Vectra is running a 733mhz P3 or Celeron, it shouldnt need an actively cooled heatsink provided there is adequate airflow in the case. Simply meaning if you have an intake and a couple of exhaust fans in the new case, you will be just fine.

as for the PSU, you just have to be certain that the connector on your motherboard is not intended for an HP proprietary power supply. If it is, the pins will be in a different order than a standard ATX power supply. EDIT: just did some research and it appears it will work with an ATX PSU, however, you must use a jumper to connect two pins on the Power Fan connector on the motherboard to trick it into thinking you are using the Vectra power supply (or else you get a fan error and it will not boot). Here is a diagram (i realize its a different HP motherboard, but same idea) http://www.megsales.com/capri_fanerror.htm

as for the power switch/ hard drive activity LED wires, the ones in the new case should work just fine, as long as you can get your hands on the manual that shows what plug goes where on your motherboard.:)

6. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

7. superstar

Thank you very much "In Years To Come", you seem to know your stuff. You found out more info on my pc than I knew about. You said that I don't need an actively cooled heatsink, provided that I have adequate airflow in the case. You said
    What is an intake and an exhaust fan?

I currently took out this old 80mm fan from an old hp p2 I had in the garage.
    Will it be of any use?

[​IMG]

You also said
    What is a jumper? Do you mean that tiny little white box connected to the wires? (as in the following pic - the one that says 3 pins). & If so can't I just use the little white box jumper thing from the one in my hp pc right now and attach it to the new 350watt psu that comes with the new case? It has 3 wire on the little white box if you can see in the pic. The link you gave me http://www.megsales.com/capri_fanerror.htm says "short out pin 1 an 2", what does that mean? Because you said I
    If this is so, I'm telling you there is three wires on that little box currently on my mobo. Look at the pic. How will that work out?

[​IMG]

You also said.
    What size/type heatsink fan will I need, and where would I connect it to on my mobo as well?

Use the link you gave me as a reference.

Hope you find the front panel connector information you were looking for when you found the manual for my "small form factor vectra series pc". Cuz I need to know about those reset buttons and stuff. (Im assuming thats what your looking for).

Thank you very much for your time you genius. I hope to have that kind of easy going knowledge on pcs one day.

8. superstar

By the way this is my system specs, I dunno if it will help you in your search:

HP Vectra VL400
    P3, 797MHZ
    192MB RAM, 20GB
    DL DVD +/- RW
    Win XP Home w/Service Pack 2

I am upgrading to 512mb ram, and 80gb when I buy the new case that comes with the free 350watt psu. Remember this is the case I want:

Thank you for you help.

9. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

you can see a jumper near the bottom of this page, along with a great explanation of what they are. http://www.tomshardware.com/2002/09/04/building_your_own_pc/page6.html

that one is a hard drive jumper. Usually for motherboards they have a little tab on the top for easy grip in tight spaces, like these --> [​IMG]

An intake fan is simply a fan mounted to suck air into your case, and an exhaust fan is blowing air out. the typical modern setup in a desktop PC consists of 1 or more intake fans mounted in the front of the case under/behind the hard drives, and one large (90 or 120mm) or 2 smaller (80mm) fans mounted on the rear near the I/O panel (where the mouse and keyboard are connected)

your case has room for 1 intake and 1 exhaust, which might pose some cooling problems for a modern computer which runs hotter, but for your system will be just fine. you can see them here in the attatched picture.

as far as Heatsinks go, again, this is optional but I would recommend it since its cheap, and its good practice for future building ;). here are some examples of heatsinks that would work for you. you can have any heatsink that works on the pentium 3 socket (socket 370) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...bmit=ENE&Page=1&SubCategory=62&srchInDesc=370

keep in mind that this adds noise, so the lower the dB rating, the quieter it will be, and considering you have a passively cooled heatsink right now, you probably dont need very high airflow (CFM)

in the diagram I linked you to, the heatsink fan would plug into the pins marked "active heatsink fan" towards the bottom of the motherboard. (which would actually be the top when oriented in your new desktop ;) )

I'm a bit busy now, but I will keep looking for any info on the front panel connector-- or if there are markings on the existing wires in your vectra case, that could be useful to you.

good luck, and glad to help!:)

Attached Files:

10. superstar

Damn!!! "In Years To Come"... You sure are a genius. I understand everything now. It's all comming together. By the way I tried putting a jumper on my power supply fan connector in my hp vectra without buying the new case with the new 350watt psu yet & it worked! My pc booted up with the jumper on the power supply fan connector, & when I took the jumper off and left the power supply fan connector with nothing it did'nt boot up it said fan error! Wow I'm impressed I wonder where you heard of doing that. I am Just three small steps from getting that case. These are my last final questions and than I'm buying it. I know everything I need to know. Except these three last questions. Once these are answered I begin the transformation. All help is really needed. I really want that new case. To make this thing into a beauty and later upgrade the ram, hard drives, pci, and agp slots. To give it a whole makeover!

MY ULTIMATE FINAL THREE QUESTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (BEFORE I BUY THE NEW CASE THAT COMES WITH THE FREE 350WATT PSU)

1.Using the diagram you gave me http://www.megsales.com/capri_fanerror.htm where would I connect one intake, and one exhaust fan on my motherboard? And what size connector/name/pin holes should the connection end of the fans have? What would be the name of the fans connections ends? I'll worry about the size of the actual fans when I'm there by telling him to give me ones that fit the new case. You just tell me what the connection end of the fan should look like or be named, and how many pin holes it should have.

2. Is it a bad thing if I'm getting that new 350watt psu with the new case and hooking it up to my mobo? Like I mean, right now I'm assuming my HP has a lower wattage psu. Will it affect my system if the new psu has more power? Is this a good thing,a bad thing, or does it not matter?

3. This is the last question I have about this case before I buy it. THANK GOODNESS!!! Knowing that I have a "HP Vectra VL400" with 800MHz P3, please tell me how I would connect the power/lights on the new case. Take a look at my pics below of the connection currently in my HP Vectra for the power/lights. I took one picture of it with the connection on, and two zoomed in pics of the power/reset pins on my motherboard with the connection off. I believe its 10 pins on my mobo for the power/lights. Oh and for some reason my Hp has no reset button. It just has a power button, power light, hard drive light, and what appears to be a key light (though I have no key on this thing). I wonder if I could use a reset feature on the new case if it comes with that connection and button on it. Please just give me basic instructions on how I would connect the new power/lights or what basic rules I should follow. Someone please research on this. This is really the hardest and last thing I need to know. Once I know it's possible and that I know a sure fire way to do it, my wallets opening and that case and psu are comming home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THANK YOU ALL FOR HELPING ME. I WILL KEEP YOU ALL UPDATED ONCE YOU ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS AND I GO AND BUY IT. BUT NOT TIL YOU ANSWER THOSE LAST THREE QUESTIONS.

Than I will post the moment of truth. A pic of how it looks after its extreme makeover "PC Edition" lol.

11. superstar

An intake and exhaust case fan is the same type/kind of fan it's just pointed in a different direction no? Like I can buy a case fan and point it outward and its an exhaust, or point it inwards and its an intake no? I hope someone has looked at the post before this too, right above the one I'm writing right now, because that has'nt been answered.

12. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

ok, for question 1: it seems in that diagram that there are only 2 fan connectors, 1 is the power supply fan which needs to be jumpered it seems, and the other is the System Fan connector in the bottom left. I'm not sure how many pins those are, but most modern system fans have 2 pin connectors. this doesnt matter, however. Most new fans have the 2 pin connector for a motherboard AND a standard 4 pin Molex connector (Molex is the 4-pin plug that comes out of the PSU, like the ones that power Hard drives and CDROM's), so you could always use that for both the intake and exhaust fan. make sense?

and yes, a fan is a fan is a fan, simply point it how you want it to flow.

question 2: a higher wattage PSU simply has more power available if needed. Higher wattage is better and will not harm your system, period.

question 3: it seems you can see which wires were plugged where on the front panel connector. the new case should have similar wires, so you should pretty easily be able to discern where they go. As i can see in the picture, there are 4 sets of wires, Yellow+white, orange+white, green+white, and blue+white (I cant seem to see where the red comes from). you can tell which is the power switch and which is the HDD activity LED by looking where they connect. The white wires are the negative/ground. since there are not many pins to confuse you, this should be easier than you think, and the guy in the store might be able to help you.

also, depending on what your desires are for this system later on, your next investment should be CPU/Motherboard/RAM, perhaps with onboard video if you dont plan anything graphics intensive.:) in any case, when the time comes, post your plans for upgrade so we can let you know what the best idea would be.

13. superstar

Thanks for answering my questions "In years to come".

I am on my way to the computer store right now to buy a new heatsink with a fan attached to it that can plug onto the three pin cpu fan pins on my motherboard. What I was wondering is if it would be alright if I just use this as a heatsink fan instead of the one that you guys had mentioned:

[​IMG]
    (I pulled this out of an old Pentium 1 that I use to mess around with)

I'm assuming I can use this instead of paying the $15 for the new day age heatsink w/fan. No? I mean this thing seams to be good. I tried it on my p3 chip on my mobo and the fan spun so I know it works, and it has like a green metal under the fan that I assume cools the chip. I need to know if this is a good idea or bad. You guys had told me that the p3 chip I have 800mhz does'nt heat up much anyway. So that's why I want to use it to save money when I transfer my mobo into my new case.

Thing is the cpu cooler in that pic is probably from 1995-1996 and that's a long time ago. I'm afraid that the fan may stop running in the near future due to it's long use. What do you guys think? Go for the new socket 370 heatsink w/fan that I found for $15? Or use this cpu cooler in the pic, and wait and see how long it lasts me and than buy the heatsink w/fan if it stops spinning soon?

One thing is those socket 370 heatsinks w/fans are hard to find where I live and I don't like to buy off the net. But as I said this cpu cooler in the pic fits my p3 chip and works with its molex thing that I have plugged onto the psu and shared with my cd-rom drive.

14. superstar

Oh some guy I know that supposedly knows about pcs told me this:
    are you kiddin me? is he trying to say I can't use this micro atx case on my "HP VECTRA VL400" (this case - check the url) http://www.task.com.tw/tk8600.htm

I was told by a computer store clerck that I can. And no one on these my thread has said I can't. Can you please respond and can someone back up his claim. This is proposterous!

I need that case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And can someone answer my question above of the heatsink. scroll up.

If he's joking around about the case I'm gonna get frustrated man.

15. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

HAHAHA dont worry a bit. BTX is a relatively new (and rare) form factor that only Intel is using at the moment. Your system is ages before that even existed.

whoever told you that is probably unaware that in the link that i sent you with the diagram, the motherboard is oriented upside down! and he mistook that for BTX. if you look at this picturte, you can see a BTX board, which is oriented nothing like yours.

also, I wouldnt recommend using a cooler from a pentium 1 on a pentium 3. If you cant find a socket 370 heatsink/fan near you, just stick with your passively cooled one. you're already adding more airflow than your old case had, so you should be just fine.

Attached Files:

16. superstar

Will my p3 chip get really hot when i'm playing games on an nvidia agp video card?

i have an nvidia 64mb video card. it gets hot as hell when its in my system. i havent used it yet. but i have tried putting it in for about ten seconds and its gets really hot. i wondered if the p3 chip gets hot too because of all the power the nvidia card is pulling. by the way the reason i havent set in my nvidia card is because it needed a replacement 40mm fan.

AND I BOUGHT IT TODAY! THAT AND THE SOCKET 370 HEATSINK YOU RECOMMENDED! THANK YOU!!!

You helped me make a wise purchase!!!

I will keep you updated about my system transformation with the new case. I'm just waiting for them to get it on monday. Thats when the new shipment comes in with the case I have been giving you url links to above. The TK8600 case. For now if someone could give me more basics on how I would do the power button/power lights/hard drive lights on my "HP Vectra VL400" for when I get my new case. That would be nice. Because thats the last thing I need help on.

And hey, how many pins do the power buttons come with on new micro atx cases? or the hd lights/power lights? My hp vectra has a two pin power pins on the mobo. and i think the hd lights use three pins, and i think the power light uses two or three pins. I just want to know because than I'm gonna be stuck like say I buy the new case and that has a three pin new power button! lol

Thank you for your help. I am sure glad i dont have a btx case. I almost pulled out my hair! because i just bought that socket 370 heatsink! lol

Thanx again.

YOU GUYS ARE BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Oh and I sure hope Its good that i bought the socket 370 heatsink with fan. because i wont be using that passivley cooled fan off the vectras psu that uses a shroud to passively cool the bare heatsink on my vectra. I will be using a new psu on the new case remember!

17. superstar

someone please read my post above and help me.

by the way thanks for referring that heat sink "in years to come".

Oh and what is the size of my motherboard in my "HP Vectra VL400"? like is it micro atx size? etc?

because the case im getting is micro atx and the guy at the store and so have you guys said i can put it in the micro atx case. Im just wondering so in case they do not have the case that i want in stock i can have a back up case to buy instead and get that one. You guys just let me know and i'll know what i can get. like can i get full tower? middle tower? micro atx? tell me what size my mobo pc is right now and what size i can get up to. name all case sizes from smallest to largest and put the one mine is in bold. and the ones it can fit in with the words sideways (italic font). Or however you want to do it.

Thanx

18. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

You have a microATX sized motherboard that will fit in pretty much any sized tower, micro, Mid, or Full, so have fun choosin:)

19. superstar

I need to have a back up case. Because it seems that those people at the pc store downtown are being lazy in ordering the case that I want. I am calling them one more time tommorow. If they don't have it than I'm planning on getting this one:

http://www.liata.com/scrItem.asp?product_subtypes_id=531&product_types_id=5&product_id=4700

It is acrylic. Can you tell me any pros and cons about this case? I have a buddy in florida that said he bought his first acrylic case years ago and it broke. & that he than bought another acrylic case that he has now, and he says he's treated it kinda bad but it has'nt broken. Are they soft like glass? Can they break easily?

Keep in mind I really take care of my stuff. I am like that. But if it's easy to break I don't want it. Like if I screw something into it and the case cracks I need to know. Or if I can't keep my pc on for too long because the case will melt I need to know as well. Can you let me know the pros and cons?

20. superstar

Read my post above this one because that is still unanswered..

The people at the store where i wanted my case havent gotten my case yet so i decided to go with another store and get this one:

New Case

Will my Hp vectra fit in this case? I think this is a mid tower.

.... Please let me know asap... as my day off is thurday and i am going to pick it up...

let me know the pros and cons of this case.

here is a review i found if you guys care:

Review

Oh and you think I can salvage my power supply from my hp vectra vL400 and still use it in this new case? or should I buy a new psu, and if so what wattage? I plan to use every slot on my mobo soon, and add the most ram i can, two or three fans, and maybe two or three optical drives. Thank you.....

Oh and what is the most ram I can use? How many MB on how many chips?
    I have a 800mhz p3. I think this hp vectra vL400 came with 64MB, but when i bought it, it had 192mb. I dunno if hp put in the extra ram chip or if the buisness I bought it from did. I heard that some p3 hp vectras can take two 512mb sdram chips to make 1gb. is that true?
    & can I buy a higher type of p3 chip with more power... say 1.0ghz? and still put it in my socket 370 and make it still work with my mobo?

because i want the highest/best/most powerful p3 chip in this.

Thanx for taking the time to answer.

21. superstar

forget about it i know about the psu. but the ram for my pc.?? i want to know how much is the most ram i can put in my "HP Vectra VL400" and what kind it could be so I can buy it off of e bay.

22. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

judging from this manual http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpv06501/lpv06501.pdf

you can take ONLY 512MB pc133 non-ECC (unregistered) SDRAM meaning your maximum choice would be 1 512MB module, or 2x 256MB modules. you cannot exceed 512MB total RAM)

also from that manual, your board should accept a PIII 1ghz (133FSB) 256k L2 cache CPU. I cant seem to find any info on support for Tualatin core pIII's (above 1ghz)

here's some RAM to check out http://dealram.com/prices/systems/HP-Vectra-VL400-P4095-T-PC133-SDRAM/36304/512MB.html?1,2

and here is the 1ghz CPU http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=95

23. superstar

Will my pc run faster on two 256MB PC133 ram chips? Or will it run faster just using one 512MB ram chip?

24. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

the speed should be the same, as this is far before dual channel existed.
    The only benefit I see is that with one 512mb stick, you'll be using half the voltage of two 256MB sticks. Even that is minute though and wont really matter.

25. superstar

What is the difference betwen fat32 and NTFS?

What's the difference between an 80 wire ribbon and normal ribbons? What does an 80 wire ribbon look like?

Yes!!!! Yesterday I did buy the 80GB Western Digital hard drive. As seen here:
    Hard Drive Pic & Specs

The reason for the 80 wire ribbon question is because I bought new ribbons. I assume those are the ones you use to plug the hard drive into the mobo (The gray plug things). Well when I bought the ribbons they look like the ones on my vectra. Execpt that there brand new!!! lol. But I don't know what you mean by 80 wire ribbon.

Anyways I bought the new case and I bought the new hard drive. I must say I have'nt been online for two days due to the tedious task of assembling the case myself. It took me at least 12 hours to finish it, fully with the mother board installed and working. I was so glad when I seen that it worked!!!! I thought I was sure in for a surprise and that it would never turn on again! I bought a brand new 450 watt psu, two new ribbons (optical, & hard drive), a new 80mm led fan, and the new 80gb hard drive. It's all working perfectly. You can see the pic of my pc before/after below under this post.

I have the 80GB hard drive in the system but it is not plugged in for use yet. I do not have the ribbon on it or the psu plug powering it up. It's just sitting dead in my pc. I do not want to touch it and do stuff to it until you guys tell me the proper way to make it work, according to my pc lifestyle, and tasks. By the way a member mentioned using win98 and winxp on my system so I can choose whichever one I'd want to boot from. I do not want to do that. I'm okay with the xp ugrade from win98se on my system. I'm cool with just having xp on this pc.

As for the previous question asked to me, I had two optical drives in my vectra, but now in my new tower I have one. I left the old optical drive that came with the vectra in the vectra. I only took out the new LG dual layer dvd-rw that I had in the vectra and put that in my new case. I did'nt use the vectras optical drive because the faceplate color is faded and looks old, and I left the floppy drive in the vectra because it has no actual faceplate. It would only sit in the vectra masked by its front floppy disc panel (the huge faceplate thing that snaps off the front of the pc, that covers the entire front of the vectra). But don't worry I know how to temporarly install the floppy, and the old optical drive if I need them. Or in this case if you tell me I need them. I need to buy a new CD-Rom with the same color as my LG optical drive, and a floppy in the same color as well. The ultimate last thing I need is two 256MB PC133 ram chips and than my vectra pc transformation is over.

Okay here I'll mention what I need out of my new 80GB hard drive. Feel free to give me your opinions on how to use it. & keep in mind that I am also going to be using the old 10GB hard drive that I had in my vectra that I am using right now in the new tower. Also keep in mind that my 80GB hard drive is in my system unplugged and not in use.

What I want out of my new 80GB hard drive:

- I want to have it help my pc run faster in anyway possible.

- I have to use it for my audio programs, such as Cubase SX, Adobe Audition, Fruity Loops, T Racks, etc. Keep in mind I am a sound engineer for real life in a recording studio. & I take the files of the songs that we record at the studio and bring them home to mix here. Each song file can be up to 1gig. & than I open the song file in the programs I mention and do real time editing. Just picture audio editing as if it were video editing. You need to have a lot of hard drive space in order for the programs to work at its best. This is the #1 reason why I bought this hard drive. I currently have over 500 cdr's with one sound recording session file on each of them. I would like to store some on my new 80GB hard drive. & work on them from there. Instead of having to open up all these spindles all the time, and searching for the right disc out of so many spindles.

- I am planning on using my old 10GB hard drive for a back up. Or internet downloads, etc. Or as just extra space! lol. As you both have told me that having the xp on my 80GB will be better and faster for my system. I am going to hate the fact that I have to re-install windows and every program but what can I do? That is definetly going to take me an entire day. Especially with all those windows updates etc. Not to mention the fact that I am on dial up! lol. 7x faster dial up on an accelorater program with netscape as my provider. So the internet is pretty fast, but downloads are slow as it tends to use the 56k modems speed for downloads. 4-5MB can take up to 20mins.

- You guys mentioned that using more than one partition on my 80GB hard drive is recommended. I have no idea how to do that. I mean as I said I am using winxp upgrade from win98se. I do know how to make the one partition, format, and than install the win98se o/s, than install the winxp upgrade. But I don't know how to make multiple partitions on one drive. That you would need to explain! Oh and I am assuming I need only a couple or more partitions on my 80Gb hard drive right? I just want what is needed to make my system smooth and reliable, and to get the best out of my new 80GB hard drive. Like I don't know if you guys are going to go partition crazy and tell me to make 20 partitions when they are not necessary! lol.

- I am also going to use it to copy dvds. We film movies at the studio, documentaries on ourselves. & we send them to this video editor and he gives us the film edited as a movie on a dvd. Which we usually take to a duplicator to copy and than sell. We do shows too, and we sell these shows in local stores. So instead of paying $200 for 50 dvds to be copied and printed by a duplicator. I want to do this by myself at home using my pc and this 80GB hard drive. As I was told by a friend that I would need to have a huge amount of GB to rip a dvd with the programs he gave me to do so.

& thats all I can think of right now. Those are the only things I need out of my new 80GB hard drive. It looks beautiful in my system and I can't wait to use it. Please give me clear instructions on how to do this.

But now I would like to take this time out to thank two very special genuis people whom have helped me transform an old HP Vectra into a work of art. Oh yah. If your wondering why I did this to my vectra, I figure I can just change my mobo, processor, and ram later on as an upgrade in the far future. & than I would attach the optical drives, and my hard drives to the new mobo. & I figure that would save me a whole of a lot money than buying a new pc.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL OF YOUR SUPPORT. YOU WERE NOT PHYSICALLY HERE HELPING ME DO THIS TO MY PC. BUT YOU WERE IN SPIRIT AND INTELLIGENCE. ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE MAKING SOMEONE ELSES KNOWLEDGE EXPAND. THEREFORE HELPING THE HUMAN RACE BECOME BETTER AND SMARTER PEOPLE. IN DUE TIME YOUR KNOWLEDGE WILL MAKE A CIRCLE AROUND THE EARTH. YOUR A GENUIS', AND YOUR BRAINS MAKE THE WORLD CIRCULATE!

HERE ARE THE LONG AWAITED PICTURES OF MY "HP VECTRA VL400" TRANFORMED IN IT'S NEW ACRYLIC CASE, NEW 450WATT PSU, NEW LED FAN, ONE SPARE OLD 80MM BLACK FAN, NEW RIBBONS, NEW HEATSINK W/FAN, AND NEW LIFE!!!!!! EVERYONE OF THESE THINGS WORKED LIKE A CHARM BECAUSE OF YOU!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One Last Thing. I have three fan holes in my case. These can be used to attach fans. One is on the front of the case, one is on the top of the case, and the third one is on the side panel of the case. You can see the case by itself empty in the picture below. How do I place these fans? Which should be exhaust and which should be intake? I currently have two fans attached to the case as you seen in the picture above. I have a normal black 80mm fan blowing air into the pc on the front of the case, which I believe stands for intake. I also have a new blue led 80mm fan on the top of the case that I think is blowing air outwards as exhaust, I just can't tell because the wind it gives off is hard to tell or feel. All I know the fans leds are not outside of the case, they are inside. Meaning the leds on the fan are pointing toward the inside of the case not outside at me. I want to know how to configure the air properly. Please help! So than when I buy the last third fan I will be all set to go. I have the third hole on the side empty with no fan. I hope this is'nt ruining my system! lol. Here is the pic of the fan with nothing in it so you get a better idea.
    [​IMG]
    Go here for an even bigger view of the case empty: Empty Case (LARGE PIC)

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME! "IN YEARS TO COME" & EVERYONE ELSE WHO WILL POST ANSWERS!!

--------------------

Everyone should thank and support "major geeks". Recommend it to friends, they work hard to save you time and money. Your expertice is appreciated.

26. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

:) great to see you got everything working in the new case! I remember my first build, took forever! now I've gotten it down to about 1 hour for the build and then OS install and such ;)

80pin IDE ribbon vs 40 pin-- 40 pin mah have been used on the vectra's original CD-ROM drive if it was ATA33, and you can visibly see wide 'wires' that make up the ribbon. 80 pin is used in newer hard drives and DVD drives (ATA 66/100/133) and has very noticeably smaller wires makin up the ribbon. you should notice the difference here
    [​IMG]

Hard drive
    Having an extra partition specific for the OS is convenient, so if and when you need to reformat and reinstall the OS, all you need to 'erase' is the information on that partition, leaving the rest of the hard drive in tact as storage.

this is entirely up to you and makes no difference in performance, as long as the OS is installed on the 1st partition of the hard drive. You can partition to your liking in Windows Setup, or through a bootable hard drive utility prior to windows installation (Each of the big hard drive companies has their own tool to do this if you desire to)

The default File System in Windows XP is NTFS, which is the quickest and most secure, and what you want to use. Once the drive is partitioned, you will format it with NTFS (once again, either the Disk Utility or Windows Setup will do this) and the install Windows XP.

Fan mounting
    As a general rule, you want more exhaust fans than intake fans in your case. Keep the front as intake, and the Top and Side as exhaust. the only time I see side fans as intake is if they sit directly over the Heatsink/Fan to provide cooler air-- but in those cases there are usually 1 or 2 exhaust fans in the back of the case as well.

Congrats on a cool looking new setup! Now when the time comes, you'll be able to upgrade the motherboard/RAM/CPU etc.. without as much worry since you know you can do it even with a difficult older system ;)

27. superstar

Thanks "In Years To Come".

I want to know if you would please tell me how to do the partitions. Step by step. Using a simple "step 1,2,3,4,5,6,7" etc method.

I currently have a brand new "Western Digital 80GB Ide Hard Drive". You can see it here: http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=000143&cid=HD.443

The only o/s I have is a windows98se disc, and a winxphome upgrade disc that is supposed to be used after installing win98se.

All I know is when I used my old 10Gb hard drive in my hp vectra this was my method:

1. Put a win98se boot startup floppy disc and turn on the pc.

2. I would choose "Fdisk" in the floppy options, enable large disc support, partition the drive, and than enable it to make it active.

3. Than I would restart and choose "Format C:/s" in the boot floppy disc options.

4. After that I would name the drive, and restart the pc, insert the win98se disc, and run the disc through the floppy options and install the win98se o/s.

5. As soon as that was done I'd insert the "winxphome upgrade from win98se disc", and install winxp.

6. Than my system would work. Altough my c: drive would still be fat32.. I dunno why???

And that's it. I only know the basics. I do not know how to make two partitions on one drive. I dunno how to choose and select a size for each partition. Or how to make them ntsf. I was told that it is recommended that I use 20GB for the "C" drive. And that is what I want to do. Than I want to use 60GB just for my data.

Can you tell me how I can go about doing this step by step? I dunno how to do this choosing partition sizes, or even how to partition two on one drive. especially as ntsf not fat32. Please let me know step by step. Thank you for all your help in transforming my vectra into a monster.

Oh and I still want to use my old 10Gb drive in my pc as well for a total of 90Gb of full hard drive space when you add it up with the new 80GB western digital one I have. I just want the 10Gb drive as an added storage for anything. Please help!!! I have burnt everything off my pc in order to be ready to do this.

28. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Just for future reference, next time you have questions, don't waste the computer store employees' time. They are there to make money. It's not fair to ask questions and not pay them for helping you out. If you don't intend on paying them for their time, just bring the questions on a forum like this where our help is free.

29. superstar

bug off "wyant earp". isnt that a cowboy movie or something? Your broke back. LOL.

Don't come on my post talking about computer store employees and what i do with my life. I have never asked a computer store employee for information while quote "taking up there time". Plus anyone can walk into any store and ask a question if they'd like. How would you like it if you went in a store and did'nt know about something? You'd ask. Or wait! Hold Up, lemme guess your a genius and extraoridinaire. You must be the king of the forums. WEll keep your comments to yourself you just wasted precious time. I posted a question and now I have to post it again due to your nonsense response.

I know you cant go to a store and bug a man for 10 mins. If i ever go to any store I may ask a brief question. Thats how knowledge passes on from human to human.

"EVEN A GENUIS ASKS A QUESTION"

- TUPAC SHAKUR

30. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

no need for pointless flaming, either of you. :rolleyes:

anyway, as far as I know, every 'Upgrade disc' is a full Windows XP installation, meaning you wouldnt need to install 98 beforhand, simply have the disc available during XP setup and insert it when prompted. This will ensure your file system is a True NTFS with 4kb sectors, and save you space since upgrading from 98 leaves lots of uneccessary files.

Now, all you would need to do is boot to the windows XP disc (either change the BIOS boot order, or use the 98 boot floppy to enable CD Rom support and then insert the XP disk)

enter windows setup, wait for the temp files to be installed, and press F8 to agree to the license agreement, and choose the hard drive you wish to install windows on (I recommend having only the hard drive you wish to install plugged in at the time, to avoid confusion)

once there, Windows will give you the option to create partitions and then format them. here you can choose what size partition you want for Windows. I recommend at least 30GB, which would leave you with about 45GB or so left on your 80GB hard drive. Windows will ask you to input the size in MB, so 30x 1024MB = roughly 30720MB for 30GB.

once you've made that partition, highlight it and begin formatting in NTFS and Windows installation. Its a lot easier than it sounds, and you'll see what I mean when you're there.

31. superstar

I am so mad right now.

I did the partition just fine. It worked. It shows up as 19.5GB of total size in "my computer". It shows that only 1.5GB has been used by winxp. I did choose 20000MB during the partition, and I do understand that microsoft and hard drive companies see 1GB differently.

The reason I am mad is because I cannot activate windows xp. I am using my old 10GB hard drive right now. The problem is that I re-installed windows xp 5 times already on this 10GB drive. So I think my installation limits are up. I think you only get a certain number of times that you can install "windows xp upgrade from win98se". I am so mad. I do not know what to do. I called them to activate it and give them my installation i.d. to get the confirmation i.d. But it says that it's not going through. This is gonna be a big problem. As I do have windows 98se. But I do not want to use that, it's too old. I don't want the fat32 system on a new 80giger.

I have "Windows Vista Build 5219", on a dvd disc that a friend gave to me. I have no idea if it will ruin my hardware or damage my new drive. The friend who gave it to me said it works just fine. & that he has it on his pc. I have actually used his pc before and it works great. He's had it for quite some time now with no problems. He did say he gave it to some people and that they experienced system slow downs, or something like that. He said that that was probably because they were on older systems. He uses a p4, or amd. All i know is his pc is relatively new.

What can I do if I can't get the confirmation from microsoft? Should I use the vista? You guys know more than me. & can tell me if it's legit and will run well on my system. All I know is the vista disc is huge. He has it on a 4.7 dvdr. It takes up half of the disc... I wonder how much of my system it would take up. & how fast it would run.

If worst comes to worst what can I do to erase the windows xp that I have placed on my new 80giger???? Do I just put in the xp disc again and delete the partition.

Oh man this sucks. I was gonna stay up all nite to put everything on my new hard drive and now I can't do squat. I won't even know how well it runs... And I only have like 4-5 more days to take the 80Gb hard drive back if it does'nt work. What a bummer...

Plus I dunno if vista uses fat32 or ntsf. I'm stuck. this was all I needed to do for my system.... Put cp on the 80giger, and install 512mb ram. And now I am stopped in my own tracks. This suxx. What am I to do???

The "Windows Vista Build 5219" that he gave me that I have on the dvdr seems kinda neat on his pc. Looks really nice. I am kinda curious about how it runs...

Oh and last question.. if I did put vista on my hard drive or any other o/s, i can always delete whats on the hard drive right? Like does my hard drive last forever>? Meaning if I get a virus, wanna change o/s, partition, etc. Can I always delete everything that is on the Hard Drive and make it so that it runs like it did with nothing on it like when I bought it? Or do hard drives ruin the more you use them or delete them fully with o/s', partitions, etc?

32. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

Windows Actication limits usually only occur on student editions of XP bought at discounted rates. Standard XP discs, and to my knowledge, standard upgrade disks as well, do NOT have limits. You might want to verify this with tech support and explain your case.

I wouldnt recommend you running Windows Vista on your older computer. Besides software conflicts and availablility, Vista is likely much more demanding from the hardware than XP. As you said, your friends system is newer and probably doesnt feel it as much.

You can always delete partitions and make new ones, or reformat exisiting partitions.

33. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Regarding activation, its unlimited, any version or type (OEM, etc) to one machine. You cannot run out of activation limits. You are not allowed to install across multiple machines, unless you have a VLK(volume license key), and those are purchased in, well, volume licenses. Many licenses, for one key.

Now, you may run out of times you can activate over the net, in which case you need to call it in, until 120 days has passed and the database has been purged.

34. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

superstar their is no need for any attacking/flaming posts like the one below, if you feel a post is not helpful in a thread then use the Report a Post icon and an Admin/moderator will look it over and take the appropreate action, IF not then the whole thread is likely to be deleted in future!

http://forum.majorgeeks.com/showpost.php?p=761300&postcount=29

As for the question on Vista, forget it and hand the DVD back to your friend as that version is out of date ( current version and fairly stable is 5342 ), not legal... as Vista is still in early an early beta phase still and needs a fairly powerful PC to run, Ram requirements are higher than what you can get away with on XP, installed Vista will take up near 4-5gb in the Windows folder alone, Vista uses NTFS,

35. superstar

OKAY IT'S TIME FOR ME TO UPGRADE MY PC!!! I NEED HELP, POINTERS, WISDOM, TIPS, INFO, AND ANYTHING THAT CAN HELP ME ON MY WAY TO PC DREAMLAND!

Many of you whom have been part of my thread already know what equipment I have and what I did with my old "HP Vectra VL400" p3 computer. If you have no idea do some skim reading and you'll know what new stuff I bought for it.

Well I just saved up a whole lot of cash, and figure it's time to throw away the mobo, processor, and ram (not literally). I'm just gonna take them out and put them in a new cheap case I will buy for the parts I just mentioned, and use the pc as a internet only pc. That way what I upgrade will be my work pc. Why? You will see!!!!

First off I am a sound engineer that works in a professional studio. The pc I want to build is for studio uses, but for home. I want to be able to work at home on a beastly powerful machine. I mean something that is almost past todays standards. Something that is sooo fast I will get my moneys worth.

The Budget:
    $500-$1000

The Job:
    I need a mobo, processor, and ram. They have to be capable of handling INTENSIVE ram usage, and processing power. For those of you who want to know what kind of programs I will be using read the next step. Anyways the pc has to literally run without flushing, skipping, stalling. I want it to be better than whats on the market or the best.

The Programs I will be using:
    Like to know what kinds of programs will be my main source of focus for this work pc? They'll be the following:

- Cubase SX

- Fruity Loops

- Adobe Audition v2.0

- T-Racks

These programs are intensive and need hard working parts in order to not skip while tons of wav files are loaded.

-------------------------------------

I need a motherboard that will indeed run top of the line hardware. I just bought a brand new 80gb IDE western digital hard drive, and a LG dvd-r/rw as well. I bought a new case, and a 450watt psu all for my old hp vectra vl400 pc. So I will be keeping these parts. The only things I need is a top of the line mobo, processor, and ram. I guess maybe something along the lines of what comes with the besttop of the line pcs in stores right now. I dunno. Like for instance. When they sell a real pc at a store thats brand new top of the line actual manufactured pcs at like future shop, staples, best buy, sears, etc. I assume those come with the newest mobos, ram, and processors. Most new pcs in stores like that cost like $2000 and come with monitors and warrantys etc. Well I don't need the pcs. I just need those top of the line parts I mentioned. I want to attach all the stuff I have just bought for my old pc as I mentioned above, and put it on the new mobo.I need something TOP OF THE LINE. I don't care how much it is, I told you all my budget. I just want something super duper fast. & ram that works wonders. I want these parts to be so good I won't have to upgrade for years, I'm talking like 5 years or more. I want to have this baby for a longgggggggggg time. I want lightening speed. To the point I'll say woaahhhh!

It also has to have good sound, since I'm a sound engineer and I need to master and mix songs. Meaning I need the best possible audio so I hear the right frequencies when I'm working. I dunno if the new mobos come with good integrated sound or what. But it has to be good. I'll be getting a nice soundcard after, but the integrated sound on the mobo HAS TO BE IMPECCABLE.

I don't know anything about how to tell what mobo, processor or ram is the best. Or how to know if there fast, etc. I mean I know little about old mobos, and ram. But as for new stuff I dunno. As I said my pc is still a p3. lol. So I guess you could say my pc knowledge is stuck in that era.

I really, really need the best harware. I want to be able to install good vid cards and stuff too, as I will be doing gaming as well. & I want to be able to run todays newest games.

Basically I want the best MOTHERBOARD, PROCESSOR, AND RAM ON THE MARKET NOW.

I assume that since a new pc in a store that comes with a monitor and all that costs like $1000-$1500, that my budget on the new hardware I want ($1000-$1500) will be more than enough for the best mobo, processor, and ram on the market.

I WANT TO BE ABLE TO ATTACH ANYTHING TO THIS MOBO. GOOD VID CARDS, TOP OF THE LINE STUFF. SOUND CARDS ANYTHING.

I WANT THIS TO BE MY DREAM PC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANY ADVICE WILL BE NICE!!!!

SHOW ME WHERE TO LOOK, WHAT TO BUY, AND HOW TO KNOW WHAT IS GOOD FOR TOMMMOROWS (NOT TODAYS) STANDARDS!!!!

I'M LOOKING FOR THE FUTURE BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

36. mastermosley

mastermosley Sergeant

Forgive me for not reading the posts, frigen long lol but with all this you want, their is probly nothing in your computer worth keeping, other than maby your harddrive but its probly not SATA copatible and all the new motherboards come with only SATA. Again I'm not that smart so this probly came up already.

37. superstar

Not quite the right answer there my friend. I can keep my new case, hard drive, 450watt power supply, dvd burner, fans, fan grills, and maybe more. The obvious changes have to be a new mobo, ram, and processor.

Someone please get at me with the proper answer.

38. superstar

I am starting a new thread on this whole subject. Thank you to everyone who helped me change my computer case with a new case, and helped me achieve a better pc build as well! & thank you to those who helped me experience putting in a new hard drive, ram, heatsink, etc. I now know how to build a pc thanx to all of you.

Although this was a p3 computer I need to somehow read about todays mobos, rams, hard drives, and processors... Wonder where I could do all that. Any last suggestions?

Because I need to know how/what/why new pc hardware works. I know about yesterdays ram/mobo/hard drives/and processors, but I know need to read up on todays!

39. egat

egat Private E-2

hello. i hope you could also help me. got the same problem too. :cry

i bought this case from south-pak(dot)com, online and it was really nice. I transferred everything on it but when I tried turning it on, it didn't worked at all. tell me what should I do? i checked every line attached to it. Is there any tips you could share?

40. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Welcome to MGs.
    You would be better starting a new thread of your own in "hardware" as this thread is over 4 years old and most of the info will be out of date.

If you can give us some info about the make and model of the case plus what hardware you are changing over.
    Was this working OK in the old case or were there problems that led you to switching towers?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds