Computer will not stay connected to adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PinkStars, Jul 15, 2008.

1. PinkStars

PinkStars Private E-2

I recently reformatted the hard drive of my desktop computer. We have a network in our house with 2 desktops and 2 laptops. My computer that is connected to the adapter won't stay connected to the network. It connects, then disconnects...and just does this repeatedly. I have a linksys wireless-g adapter, version 4. The network is set up as a WPA-PSK network. I'm not sure what to do and the other threads haven't solved the problem :confused Any help woud be greatly appreciated.

2. PinkStars

PinkStars Private E-2

Nevermind..I think I resolved the issue!

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

After Reformatting it is a very good idea to check for OS chipset and peripheral drivers.
    many people do not realize that when reinstalling from the original CD they might set back the computer with OS and software that is circa 2001 and not fully compatible any more with newer hardware.

4. PinkStars

PinkStars Private E-2

I definitely did not resolve the problem..when I turn the computer on, it's always connected, but then disconnects. I did notice though that the password for the network is always wrong upon restart...I always have to type in the right one, but I can never set it to the right one permanently! How do I check for the OS chipset and peripheral drivers?

5. sickcom

sickcom Private E-2

i had a similar problem and found that in the ethernet adaptor properties ,it had a power management item saying " allow windows to turn off this device to save power", it should be set to off as default imo, but it seemed to have a domino affect on the modem also. disconnecting all internet(may be worth a look)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds