Can't connect 2 internet though Comcast Modem > Router > 2 computers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by g6qwerty, Dec 23, 2008.

1. g6qwerty

g6qwerty Private E-2

We just got Comcast high speed internet and the only computer that can connect is my grandmas. I tried connecting my computer directly to the modem and it still won't connect to it even though i tried the cd that they gave. I want to connect the 2 computers to the internet at once though a router but so far i can't.

I've got a Arris model# TM602G/CT for comcasts modem and a Linksys BEFSR41 vr. 2.1 for the router. I can connect both computer to the router and they see it. And my Grandmas computer is connect to the internet just fine though a direct connection or though a 5 port 10mb hub and my computer still can't connect though that. Also I've tryed connecting to the web utility for Arris on grandmas but i can't even though i typed in the ip for the gateway correct.

What i want to do is set back up the home network using the linksys Router to route the internet connection though the house for who ever may connect to it.

User Guide for the Linksys BEFSR41 PDF
    Couldn't find anything for the Arris

Grandmas Computer IP Stuff
    Physical Address: 00-11-43-1A-11-28
    IP Address: 71.229.181.227
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.252.0
    Default Gateway: 71.229.180.1
    DHCP Server: 68.87.66.13
    Lease Obtained: 12/23/2008 2:41:30 AM
    Lease Expires: 12/25/2008 7:02:25 PM
    DNS Servers: 68.87.85.98, 68.87.69.146, 68.87.78.130
    WINS Server:

2. g6qwerty

g6qwerty Private E-2

Re: Can't connect to the internet when useing a router

Didn't see how to edit my original post so here is some more stuff iv tried.

I tried turning off the router and computer then resetting the Arris modem, then powered up the router with the Arris pluged into the Wan but the link/coll light was flashing indicating a high number of collisions so i put it in the Uplink port, then i changed the router's setting from Gateway to Router. and even my grandmas computer wasn't able to connect to the internet.

So i went to connect my grandmas computer directly again and it wouldn't connect so i had to reset the modem then it connected.

Don't know why i can connect to the internet though a 5port 10mb Hub when the router doesn't work or why my computer can't connect to the internet when using the 5 port hub.

I know very little about networking so any help would be appreciated.

Not very helpful manual for TM602_User_Guide.pdf

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  3. g6qwerty

g6qwerty Private E-2

aww man i can't edit a post agian.

Ok i powered down my grandmas computer, i left mine running, conneced the modem to the linksys router (had the linksys set to router under dynamic routing) and powered down both.

I powered up the modem, waited like 8minuts, then powered up the linksys, and bingo my computer got internet. Powered up my grandmas computer and it can't connect doesn't even see the linksys.

Checked and i found out that my computer is getting its ip address directly from the modem, and i can't see the modem's page 71.229.180.1 or the linksys 192.168.1.1 (is the router acting like a 4 port switch?) Is there any way to make the linksys act like a router not a 4port switch?

I called Comcast again and asked if their was a way for them to get another ip address out of the modem and they said it would cost another $5 a month which i don't want to pay. Is their a way that i can get the internet on both computers with out paying the extra $5? Internet connection sharing possably though how would i do that?

Oh and both computers are running Windows XP home edition SP2, but my computer doesn't have any updates its a clean install off the disk.

I also have a ActionTec DSL Gateway # GT704 (Users Manual)
    the old Quest DSL Gateway with wireless # 2701HG-D
    And the 5port 10mb hub that i mentioned before.
    Plus a few short lengths (3-5ft) of Cat 5

4. g6qwerty

g6qwerty Private E-2

Solved my Problem (this will only work on windows i was using windows Xp at the time)

I installed another 10/100mb Lan Card on my grandmas computer and set up internet connection sharing between the 2 computers

On you computer with the internet connection, Install another Network card so that you now have 2 network connections.
    Go to Start> Control Panel (may need to change it to classic view) > Network Connections and left click on Local Area Connection under LAN or High Speed Internet and select Properties and Click on the Advanced tab, and select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection check box and then click ok

On the Computer(s) your sharing you internet connection with go to Go to Start> Control Panel (may need to change it to classic view) > Network Connections and left click on Local Area Connection under LAN or High Speed Internet and select Properties and under the General Tab select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click on the Properties button And select Obtain An Ip Address Automatically and click on ok, then you should be able to connect to the internet.

Wired up my Lan Like this
    Cable Modem > Host Computer With Internet connection sharing enabled > Router > Other Computers

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds