How do I set search provider for address bar?

Discussion in 'Software' started by sach2, Apr 17, 2011.

1. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how/where the settings are for determining what search engine is used to look up a website when I mis-type in the address bar.

I use Firefox and so if I type magorgeeks (notice mispelling and no .com) in the address bar and hit enter I get taken to a page that gives suggestions for the site I might be looking for. Sometimes it is a Verizon page (my internet provider) and sometimes it is an Ask.com page. I can't figure out where the setting is for determining which service tries to resolve the DNS? mispelling.

It seems to me it used to be google or I was automatically taken to the correct page. Then it was always Verizon for a while and now it switches between Verizon and Ask.com. For instance now when I type majorgeeks (spelled correctly but no .com) and then hit enter I get taken to the Ask.com page saying did you mean majorgeeks.com--that used to just get me to majorgeeks.com automatically.

I've looked on the net and some say it is related to the default search provider in the search bar in FF which I have set to imdb.com since I use that bar as a quick link to that site, so I can't see how that relates. Others say it could be in the router settings but I can't find anything on my router's configuration page.

Anyone have any ideas? What happens when you type majorgeeks (no .com) into firefox address bar and hit enter? I don't mind experimenting as I am preparing to reinstall soon. Thanks! :)

*I just installed IE9 and it always uses Bing which is fine. (So to me that seems to point to a FF setting. Or IE9 has a way of setting it on install. I don't know how IE8 behaved because I only use it for sites FF has problems with once in a great while.)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

majorgeeks+Ctrl+Enter = majorgeeks.com

Get rid of the Ask crapware ;)

3. mimon

mimon Private E-2

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Click the icon in my pic to choose your search provider

Attached Files:

5. mimon

mimon Private E-2

6. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Nicely done mimon. On this machine magorgeek or lajorgeeks etc got me to the MG home page. Screen shot of the URL bar, prompt the second time run. Obviously Google.
    Cheers..

Attached Files:

7. Earthling

No, you are quite correct, it doesn't. But interestingly my FF default was set to Google, which is the default search engine in my default browser Chrome, and also in IE9. As I hardly ever use FF, and certainly have never sought to change its search engine, how did that happen I wonder?

8. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Sorry edit timed out. Google is not my Home page or in FX search bar.. mimons post using about:config is key.
    Cheers..

9. Earthling

My post was intended for mimon. I'm just wondering how my FF default search engine (in about:config) comes to be Google. Seems pretty improbable that Mozilla would have set it that way, and I certainly never have. But if the default is usually Bing, which is IE's default, it rather looks to me as if FF is looking to IE during installation to set its default.

10. sach2

Thanks mimon and everyone who tested this out. :)

My keyword.url had no entry so I put google in there. Which works fine.

I'm still curious where Verizon or Ask came in? I'm not sure if this is relevant but I don't care enough to risk messing with my connectivity.

Interestingly, when I type majorgeeks and hit enter I go to the Google page with majorgeeks as the firs result. It won't fill in the .com and take me there unless I use the Ctrl + Enter that Satrow suggested. Sikvik are you saying if you type majorgeeks and hit enter you get to the homepage? Or are you selecting that google suggestion?

11. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

If you want it to work as in "I'm Feeling Lucky", might try changing the value of the "Keyword.URL" to:

http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%27m+Feeling+Lucky&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=

Doing it that way though, could land you at a less than desirable site if the entry is mistyped in the address bar.:eek:crybaby

More info @ MozillaZine: Keyword.URL.

12. sach2

Thanks platidust, I appreciate the link it has some good information. :)

13. mimon

mimon Private E-2

for direct access to the website by just typing the name only :ie "majorgeeks"+Enter, go to
    * about:config
    * Keyword.enabled
    * false

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  14. sach2

That's great! I was going to ask about a work around for the Ctrl + enter thing but didn't want to be greedy.

I'm good to go! :dancer

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds