fix pci network controller error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CPOTTS10, Feb 5, 2008.

1. CPOTTS10

CPOTTS10 Private E-2

When I start my computer it reads ERROR PCI NETWORK CONTROLLER IN SLOT 3, what does that mean and how do I fix it? Is this why my CD burner does not work now?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

First, welcome to Major Geeks. :major
    Go into the BIOS (usually pressing F2 or Del right when you turn it on opens the BIOS) and just poke around looking for a setting that says something like "P-n-P Operating System?" or maybe "Plug and Play OS" or something very similar to that. It can be set for Yes or No (or Enabled/Disabled). If it's set for Yes, select No. If it's set for No, select Yes. Then save the changes, and exit the BIOS and reboot. If that doesn't help, shut down, unplug the power cord, open the case, and remove the network card. It has a single connector on it that looks just like a big phone jack. Now power up the computer with the network card removed. Obviously, you shouldn't get the error message. But if the CD drive now works, then you may have a serious problem. If the CD still doesn't work, let's not worry about that just yet. Shut down, remove the power cord, and put the network card back in, but use a different slot. Restart and let us know what happens.

BTW- while in the BIOS, check to see that the CD drive is recognized and enabled properly. It may be on IDE1 or IDE2. If the hard drive is IDE0, the CD is usually IDE1. If the hard drive is IDE1, then the CD would be IDE2....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds