"BootExecute" Multi-String Value (REG_MULTI_SZ) Data and its' impact on XP startup

Discussion in 'Software' started by Frankenstien, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Frankenstien

Frankenstien Private E-2

Hey all ...

Any thoughts on the following Win XP Pro SP3 32-bit Registry BootExecute value Data:

(from my 'Unknown MBR code on Lenovo R500 notebook PC is normal?' thread from earlier this month)

"In the process (of t/s'ing an HDD dirty bit / Chkdsk [/ MBR] issue), I've become fairly familiar with the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
    "BootExecute" Multi-String Value (REG_MULTI_SZ) ... however, the Data for this value alone does not seem to have full control over what occurs on startup and I have noticed a variety of data lines that get placed there, can mess up a boot-time defrag (using Diskeeper 8) and need to be temporarily removed ... i.e.:

autocheck autochk /p \??\C:
    autocheck autochk *

or:

autocheck autochk /p \??\C:
    AUTONTFS C: PAGE=MIN DIRS=MFTZ ENDPAUSE MFT=MIN

or, other lines noted post-install of AVG AV F E 2015 & Spybot - S & D 2.4, respectively:

C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG2015\avgrsx.exe /sync /restart

sdnclean.exe

Note: Spybot - S & D manages to insert an empty line in this value Data when it writes 'sdnclean.exe' to the existing value data ... something Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 will not allow manually ... (?)"

I've managed to capture and create a couple of different REG files (from other XP / Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit machines) that include the 1 blank line that Spybot - S & D inserts in the BootExecute value Data when it writes 'sdnclean.exe' or 'sdnclean64.exe' (the latter for the Win 7 OS) to the existing value Data.

I have tested this method of introducing the blank line into the BootExecute Registry value Data on the Lenovo R500 and it works just fine ...

So ... I really just need help with understanding what Data really belongs in BootExecute (for normal startups ... I've know that Diskeeper 8 inserts 'AUTONTFS C: PAGE=MIN DIRS=MFTZ ENDPAUSE MFT=MIN ' for the boot-time defrag and that the Data disappears after successful completion of same), and, what other factors may affect startup abnormally, as described (dirty bit / Chkdsk [/ MBR]).

Thanks, FFF

2. Frankenstien

Frankenstien Private E-2

Re: "BootExecute" Multi-String Value (REG_MULTI_SZ) Data and its' impact on XP startu

... bump ...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds