<windows root>\system32\hal.dll. MISSING

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dtid1957, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Dtid1957

Dtid1957 Private E-2

Ok let me explain lighting hit got passed the so called surge protector and fried my old emachines HD and Motherboard some how the DIMMS and Possessor DVD drives, etc survied. Sense the PC is so old parts are cheap. Im going to explain everything so maybe someone can tell me the best way to solve this, The emachines T5212 W/Pentium D socket org. in it. So I got one as close to it as i could fhis one # is D945GCPE intel D socket. The HD i did change that up. The old was a PATA and it was a 200 GB Desk Star or something like that. I put in a 500 GB seagate Barracuda SATA. I don't know if this caused my missing file or not. If I had a regular WINDOWS xp DISC I think i might solve this. But i have the emachines disc that has my operating sys on it. on the disc it reads emachines windows xp media center version 2005 with update Rollup2. I cant make this disc go anywhere but to the restore and recovery part of the disc that says press R to start recovery options of course if you don't press the R it trys to go back and boot to the oper sys but it cant. the first time i did press the R and it loaded some files the next screen read please wait recovery is loading recory options also it had a screen that read powered by Anglesoft. The line that goes across the window to let you know its working stoped for about 5 minutes or so then it went striadhr to loading files instead of a menu options for me to choose from so i just let it go. It finished loading files and read recovery has completed loading file. Click restart to finish the rest of the windows installation but noted to leave the recotrty disc in until PC has booted to the operating system then remove the disc. I clicked restart it left the recovery section but as it was doing so it ejected the disc own its own and before i could close the tray it missed booting up and thats when i got the error message windows failed to start because file <windows root> \system32\hal.dll. is missing. Please copy the file and try booting to the oper sys, I went back into BOIS made sure it still was set to boot to the CD first and it was. So I turned PC off unplugged the power and press the power button and it got rid of anything thar the memory might hold. I booted up pressed R and started revory this time it didnt stop as long as before maybe 2 minutes and I got options this tine I chose fo formant the disk it made a partition in NTFS when finished doing that it started loading new files and folders. at the end of loading the files. Ir read the same thing as before, And it did th same thing as before it ejected rhe disc but i closed it back before it tried to boot but it did the same thing and read the same thing. I kept trying to get to safe mode and did one time but I didnt know the commands and i was affarid i would really mess it up, I remember seeing the the menu that stated Windows XP Media Edition,. I did try going to safe mode when I was there but it did the same thing NO FILE. If someone could tell me the safest and essayist way to do this I would appreciate your time and thought if you could help me. Remember now when it comes to DOS i know just enough to really screw one up. Need so help before i do that. Thanks David

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi, Dtid1957. Welcome to Major Geeks. :)

I'm wondering if there might be some dirt or a scratch on your OEM Win XP disk or if there's a problem with the optical drive following the lightning strike as the Hal.dll should have been installed.

Check the CD for dirt/scratches and if you have a USB connectable optical drive, after setting BIOS boot order to USB first, try installing XP again (clean install). I've only needed Recovery Console after multi-booting XP and some Linux distro.

3. Dtid1957

Dtid1957 Private E-2

Yes the XP disk is scratched up pretty bad, i do have a USB connectable optical drive. I will give it a shot! If that doesn't work maybe the emachines people might help me if i give them the old disk maybe they might give me another copy. That is probable sum wishful thinking but it want hurt to ask. Thank You for your thought and time on this matter. David

4. Dtid1957

Dtid1957 Private E-2

Yes the XP disk is scratched up pretty bad, i do have a USB connectable optical drive. I will give it a shot! If that doesn't work maybe the emachines people might help me if i give them the old disk maybe they might give me another copy. That is probable sum wishful thinking but it want hurt to ask. Thank You for your thought and time on this matter. David

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds