Website creator/editor software, which is best?

Discussion in 'Software' started by razoric, Jan 26, 2015.

1. razoric

razoric Private E-2

Hi geeks,

How goes it?

Any suggestions for good software for building a website? i have done this previously many moons ago and used Dreamweaver, is that still any good?
    I remember reading that you shouldn't use frames as the google bots don't like them. Is that still the case? any advice on this or website building in general gratefully received.

I'm doing this for my family, and they have previously purchased a webhosting and domain package from British telecom in the UK. They pay a small monthly fee, but have never used the product as the general manager who suggested it has now left, and no one has taken on the work after this until me now.

Should i stick with BT, or perhaps look to transfer the hosting elsewhere? presumably the domain is easily transferable?

finally, i know it's a way off, but is there a good way of building a site from the start to promote it's placement on google? the site will be fairly simple, homepage, about, contact us.

lots of questions i know....

Thanks in advance for any responses. :wave

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

You might like KompoZer. You can download it from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/kompozer.html. The developer's website is at http://www.kompozer.net. I'll also mention WordPress as an option. Many hosting services now provide WordPress to their customers as part of the package, even their basic package.

Regarding hosting service, I'm not familiar with BT, so I can't comment on it; I'm in the U.S.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Webstorm or sublime text.

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Have a look at Serif WebPlus Starter Edition. There's also a commercial edition.

While no longer popular, NetObjects Fusion is a superb program.

5. razoric

razoric Private E-2

Thanks for responses, i'm using a Kompozer tut i found for now, and giving that a go first. I'll let you know how i get on.

6. razoric

razoric Private E-2

So here's the start of my website:celebrate

It's quite basic for now, but will build and improve as i go. A problem i have encountered is the inability of kompozer to stretch background images to fully fit web-browsers. Any suggestions on how to do this much appreciated?

Future plans are to improve the text/dialogue after consulting the family. Set up a live webcam, to take advantage of the beautiful views. Weather widget, try and improve placement on google.

7. Eldon

Both Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox cannot load the page.

8. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

Too many 'r's in the url? Try this one http://www.burrowshall.co.uk/

9. Eldon

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds