can't resize windows horizontally

Discussion in 'Software' started by jeffcp, Jan 28, 2015.

1. jeffcp

jeffcp Private E-2

I am working with windows 7 64 bit on an HP HDX. I have always been able to place my mouse pointer on the edge of my windows page and get a double sided arrow. Then I could hold down the mouse key and be able to drag the window to a smaller size and then if I released the button the window would stay at that size. Now if I put my mouse arrow on the side nothing happens. Only if I use the restore up or down box in the upper right corner will it work but if I try to open a new window it will go back to full size. Also if I place my mouse arrow on the menu bar and try to drag that window it automatically snaps to the restore down position. Have I done something to cause this and can I get it back to where it was before? Thank you.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI jeffcp

Dont know if you have fixed this issue now but my best guess is that you have done nothing wrong and this is a normal occurance of Windows and how Explorer or IE windows display on the screen, its likely the normal way you set your Windows reset to opening full screen, which does not give you the mouse pointer arrows to resize.

Try clicking restore down on an IE page (only have one page/tab open) then resize the windows manually then hold down the Windows key and click the red X to close the window, then reopen and see if it has kept its size.

Could be you need to disable http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products/features/snap http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/how-do-i-turn-snap-on-or-off

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds