windows freezes

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tom_pask, May 9, 2006.

1. Tom_pask

Tom_pask Private E-2

ok so i have set up this pc but everytime i start windows it will work for a few minutes and then freeze up on me!
    does any1 now why this might be?
    thanks

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Visit the thread called, Read & Run Me First Before Asking For Support, and follow the instructions there. Then, if you still have a problem afterwards, your computer will be in a known state, and we can help you further!

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Only if you tell us what operating system, if you have antivirus software and have run it to elimiate virus's, and how much ram, for starters.

4. TimW

@ Mada_Milty...sorry bout that ....was posting at the same time and didn't mean to step on you..

5. Tom_pask

Tom_pask Private E-2

this is a new pc there is nothing on the hardrive i instaleed windows and now its freezing! it has not been connected to the internet so it does not have viruses

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Ahhh, well details are helpful! Okay, then. What version of windows is it? What are your hardware specs?

7. TimW

Best guess is that something(probablly ram module) got jarred loose in transistion ..... open the case and make sure all ram and pci cards are firmly seated ....but better yet, take it back to where you got it and raise a stink!!

8. TimW

@Mada_Milty ....crap, I did it again!!!

9. Tom_pask

Tom_pask Private E-2

right
    windows xp media center
    156 mb ram
    120gb hard-drive
    amd athlon 2.6

10. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Okay, Tim has the right idea here... you don't have alot of RAM for XP. What is running at the time of the freezes?

11. Tom_pask

Tom_pask Private E-2

nothing is running i now its not alot of ram ive just built this pc up form spare parts i had laying bout! the ram is sitting right and so are the pci's any other ideas?

12. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Sorry, amigo, but there's always ALOT running when it comes to windows. Try this:

1. Hit ctrl + shift + esc

This brings up task manager. This displays all the processes running on your computer.

13. Tom_pask

Tom_pask Private E-2

sorry didnt think u wanted 2 now the backgorund programs!
    but i just found more ram laying bout so i put that in and it seems 2 be running ok now!
    thanks for the help!

14. TimW

Unless your on-board video is taking some of the ram ... looks like a ram issue .. bad or non-compatible with each other ... how many sticks? 64 + 64 + 64 = 192
    64 + 64 = 128
    Did you mean 256?

15. Tom_pask

Tom_pask Private E-2

yes sorry i did mean 256 and ive found another 256 so it seems 2 be ok now! thanks alot man

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds