periodic stops in usb mouse response - vista32

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Broseybrose, May 28, 2008.

1. Broseybrose

Broseybrose Private E-2

i bought this gateway a year ago and it came with a USB 2.0 mouse that i connected to the USB 2.0 ports on the front of the machine. there was never a problem. but now, for no apparent reason, the mouse will stop responding for 1-4 seconds and then go back to normal. it happens every 3 minutes on average.

now this is a gaming machine. i added an 8800GTX and an OCZ SXS 600W psu right after i bought it. so this problem is KILLING me in fpses.

what do you guys think it could be?

also, sp1 is in my update window but fails when i try to install. whats that about?

thanks!

2. Broseybrose

Broseybrose Private E-2

ill post my full specs. the model is GM5472.

Athlon X2 5000+ 2.6GHz
    ECS MCP61P nForce 430 / GeForce 6150SE chipset
    2GB DDR2 RAM
    eVGA 8800GTX (175.16)
    OCZ SXS 600W
    Realtek onboard 5.1
    Vista32 Home Premium - Updated and hotfixed, but not sp1 yet. it fails when i try to install.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Open device manager and check the running processes.
    Something is slowing down the mouse. for me it was an antivirus program.

4. Broseybrose

Broseybrose Private E-2

how were you able to isolate the process? trial and error?

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Personally, I thought about the last thing I had done. It was installing a different av program. I removed it and my mouse stopped freezing.

If you can't remember what you added since you noticed the freezing problem then yes, trial and error. Some of the processes you may recognize so you don't need to end them but the ones you aren't sure about, write down, disconnect from the internet, just in case you disable some protection and then start ending processes to see if you can figure out what is causing the freezing.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds