Windows Home Server unable to Desktop Remote

Discussion in 'Software' started by KathyH, Aug 3, 2009.

1. KathyH

KathyH Private E-2

I have Windows Home Server (2003) up and running on computer in back office which I would like to have 'headless'. OS on all computers I'm working with besides WHS - XP SP3. I am able to log on the server itself using the Windows Home Server Console along with log on from other computers in the house. I am not able to log onto server when it is powered on and not being logged on. I have remote access enabled, I have changed my router (D-Link DIR-655) to open ports using the Port Forwarding (80, 443, 4125). NOT sure I did this correct, having input the IP for the server in the IP address field. In in TCP field and UDP I put both number (80, 80). To no avail, nothing seems to be working. I have the Windows Console in task bar on all computer (having installed WHS Connector which works). The console is grayed out indicating the WHS is not available. I attempt to log on - message: "This computer cannot connect to home server. Check and make sure it's powered on ......." The server is powered on with the log in screen displayed. First time using a server so really not familiar with process. I would have thought my options for turning on the server after it's powered on would be - 1. using the Windows Home Server Console OR 2. using Remote Desktop Connection. Hopefully I'm missing one little piece of the puzzle in order to just log on from home computers and then remotely after this is accomplished. I also set up a domain, but notice the computers are in a work group. Thanks in advance for some assistance here.

2. Geminiione

Geminiione Private First Class

Before you try anything else 2 things. first all systems must be either in the same workgroup or domain in order to recognize the user and password. second have you set your server to accept remote connections. check these two out and try to connect again if you have to change anything. just a side question can you ping your server from the workstations and viceversa

3. KathyH

KathyH Private E-2

1. I have work stations in workgroup, but different names (MSHOME, WORKGROUP). I would imagine best to have all same name in Workgroup. Domain - something I need to better understand. I have a domain set up for remote access which I tested the other day.
    2. I have set serer to accept remove connections.
    3. I was able to ping some computer but not the server. I then changed setup from wireless connection using USB adapter to wired and remote desktop is working. Backups presently working, so I've not been able to see if I can access the server with just using the WHS console.
    Not sure if I needed to forward the ports or not - will undo that step in the router setting and see what happens. Now I would like to be able to wake the server for back-ups...possible? Thank you...

4. Geminiione

ok first we should check the ip addresses of the systems. how are they getting their address? can you ping the workstations from the server? you should check these things before we go much farther.

5. Serious Sam

Serious Sam Corporal

they need to all have the SAME workgroup name

6. KathyH

KathyH Private E-2

I am not sure where they are getting them from...I have 5 computers all with somewhat different - Comcast. Yes I can ping all from server. I am now able to remote connect into all computers. Things working at moments except I need to get all in same named Workgroup (not domain?). Question currently is how to access shared folders which are not showing up - Used Space "Empty". Thank you...

7. Geminiione

Ok lets make sure we al on the same page. when you say remote in do you mean using remote desktop connection or browsing through your network? also is file sharing enabled on your workstations?

8. KathyH

KathyH Private E-2

Remote - meaning Remote Desktop Connection. Access through the Windows Home Server website I am now only able to see a few files I 'shared' the other night. I do have file sharing enabled on all workstations, so not sure why all files are not showing up but just the ones I manually shared (thru Windows Home Server site). Thanks for your assistance...

9. Geminiione

try reading this article maybe it will answer some questions. as for the files you can see, what is it you are trying to access?

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

got link?

11. Geminiione

12. KathyH

KathyH Private E-2

Geminiione - simply trying to see all folders I have enabled to share. I manually added some files which I can access, I imagine I should be able to see all that are shared. I'll do some more research in spare time. Thank you for sending along that article.

13. Geminiione

let me know how it works out for you

14. KathyH

KathyH Private E-2

Will do, thanks for your time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds