hard times with hard drive not posting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pcrampage, Mar 16, 2010.

1. pcrampage

pcrampage Private First Class

Hi all i need yet more help. i have 2 hdd's a slave and a master, When i hook them both up and restart, Only the slave hdd shows up on my boot menu when they are both hooked up. They worked together before. and i really need it right now to back up for my upgrade to win 7 using xp home 32bit now home built system running asrock aod790gx 128m. Also...

Will i be able to recover my backed up files on the slave hdd ? because was formatted with xp and i'm upgrading to windows 7..sorry for being such a noob.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

In this computer with all the same hardware?

3. pcrampage

yes with the same mb and windows same 2 hd's how do i make windows recognize both hard drives?

4. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

( I am assuming these are IDE drives )
    first thing change the jumper of the first drive on the cable ( the one at the end to ) CS aka cable select and change the second ones jumper to slave
    if that don't work then..
    change the one in the middle of the cable to Cable select and the one on the end to slave
    ( the jumper settings are on the lable or on the edge of the connector)

5. pcrampage

sata 2 drives

6. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

do they show up in the bios ?

7. pcrampage

when both are hooked up only the slave posts as a boot device option. it won't show up on my computer or the systems information. need help! he he

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds