buying a sony viao laptop with no os on it help please

Discussion in 'Software' started by lord lucan, Dec 8, 2005.

1. lord lucan

lord lucan Private First Class

hi im working in japan my laptop has ceased to function so im buying a new one ,trouble is in japan they are all sold with the japan version of xp on which is useless to me , i can get a sony viao which no operating system on it ,so if i get that and just buy an xp pro os will i be able to install it and the sony work as normal?

my major concerns are things like drivers specific to the viao ie pointing device and other sony extras within the laptop not functioning?

im guessing all the sony discs will be in japanesse to ,am i right ?

can anyone help with my dilemma?

much appreciated

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Installing XP Pro on the laptop should provide you with drivers that will allow it to function. Viao specific drivers may have to be downloaded from Sony, most notable would be the video driver, but I have seen laptops take the supplied XP driver and work fine. Hope this helps! :)

3. lord lucan

lord lucan Private First Class

if i put an english os disc into a jap laptop with jap os on it will it prompt me in english or japanesse?

4. matt69

matt69 Private E-2

You can go to the Sony Vaio web site Give them the model and whatnot they ask and get a full recovery of original drivers, os and add ins when it was new. In English

http://esupport.sony.com/EN/VAIO/

Matt

5. UKARMYCADET

UKARMYCADET Corporal

Hi it will prompt you in english will the os. But with sony vaio you should get a os recovery disk with your computer ( i did) so there is no need for a new os. But if you go on windows update you can simpily download a english laguage pack. as you are working in japan i presume that you can get a jap to translate for you. or you can go on www.babelfish.altavista.com and copy and paste all you see to translate. then get the english language packs as you will know it in english. i hope this works. cya UKARMYCADET

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds