connecting two computers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nater324, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Nater324

Nater324 Private E-2

Can I network two computers together using a cat 5 cable? CPU 1 has a wireless internet connection and CPU 2 does not have a wireless card installed. Will I be able to access the internet on CPU 2 thru CPU 1?

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Look through the posts here, and you will find out this is discussed over and over. http://www.ezlan.net has the info you need also. As for connecting two PCs to share a connection, you can use ICS, which makes one PC into a Server, and the other would then connect using same. Also, you need a Cross-Over Cable, which actually takes the Transmitt and Receive pairs and swaps them to allow the systems to communicate.

If one of the computers is connected via Wireless, what is stopping you from connecting the other to the router if you have one via the wired connection?

3. Nater324

Nater324 Private E-2

The router is in the basement so I dont want to put the computer down there. I will read over the posts in the forum. Thanks soo much for the help.

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

What about pulling a Ethernet cable for the other computer if you have to for worst case scenario. I have my Linksys router actually sitting on the floor in my living room/dining room, and from there I have the wires going downstairs to a patch panel for the other two locations.

Of course here soon I am going to have to make some changes, due to the fact that I need to clean up that particular corner along with the desk area where the desktop sits, due to we may be pulling a wall from that side of the room to expand the kitchen.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds