No Sound in Windows Xp Pro!(Realtek AC '97)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Copasta, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Copasta

Copasta Private First Class

I just upgraded my computer from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Professional, and I have no sound! I have an AMD Athlon XP 2200+ CPU with on board Realtek AC '97 audio. I don't know a whole lot about computers....can anyone help? The sound worked fine before the upgrade. Please help. Thanks!

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Most likely a driver issue. If you can give is the name of your motherboard I'm sure we can point you in the right directon.

Alternately, you can try these drivers:
    http://snipurl.com/2hq2

However, you probably should determine your motherboard chipset so you can install all te required drivers.

3. Copasta

If I am correct, I think it is an MSI MS-6738 (v 1.X) Micro ATX Mainboard. I hope this will help. Let me know if there is some other way of finding this information out! Thank you!

4. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

I couldnt find your motherboard on MSI's site with the supplied model numbedr... but for your cpu that you have listed, do you know if your motherboard has a VIA chipset or nForce chipest?

I'm banking on VIA, if it was nForce based you would have had to install all your other mainboard drivers in one shot, and if you're having a problem with sound then I'd bet it would extend to USB, Onboard LAN and your PCI bus as well.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  5. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Download Everest. It will tell all you want to know, and more. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

6. Copasta

My chipset is VIA VT 8375 ProSavage DDR KM266. Hope this helps.

7. Copasta

It's working now! Thanks to all that contributed!

8. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Glad everything worked!

FYI, Google seems to think your board is aka the MSI KM2M Combo-L.

In any case, MSI has an update utility that can examine your motherboard and determine the most recent driver downloads for you. I'd recommend using the utility to update everything except the BIOS (which should only be updated in the event of a problem).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds