Vista is soooo slow!!!! Please help me!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Hubsgurl15, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Hubsgurl15

Hubsgurl15 Private E-2

Hey guys, my just bought a new computer! My old one actually crashed, it said that windows was not installed and with me and my husband being in an on-line school we needed one then! So we went out and bought a compaq pressario, basically the cheapest one they had! But it was a lot of money for us, and it has Vista on it! So we were excited. Now this stupid computer is running so slow! Is there any way to fix it or will we have to go out and buy extra memory for it! I do my task manager and it is saying that my available ram is 0, and that is with me just running my firefox internet. I am going to copy and paste what my computer is running and anything you can help me out with is great! I have installed that Vista Manager but I still don't know what to do in order to make more RAM available, we don't have barely anything on it!!! Please help me!!! Thank you so much in advance!!!

Motherboard: RX894AA-ABA SR5013WM

Basic Input Output Systme(BIOS): Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Central Processing Unit(CPU): Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz

Physical Memory: 512MB

Hard Disk: Hitachi HDS721616PLA380 (149GB)

Video Card: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family

Monitor: Dell M781s

Audio Device: Realtek High Definition Audio

Network Adapter

Local Area Connection - Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection (Connected)

Modem: PCI Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

Keyboard: Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

Mouse: PS/2 Compatible Mouse
    ComputerSystem: Compaq-Presario RX894AA-ABA SR5013WM

SystemType: X86-based PC(Desktop)

ComputerName: HUBBARD-PC

CurrentUserName: Hubbard

OperatingSystem: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic ()

InstallDate: 4/19/2007 5:49:02 AM

Internet Explorer: 7.0.6000.16473 (0)

DirectX: DirectX 9 (4.09.00.0904)

System Up Time: 0 Days - 0 Hours - 16 Minutes - 33 Seconds

LastShutdownTime: 12/31/1600 6:00:00 PM

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

You only have 512 ram, you need at least a gig, more likely 2 gigs to run vista well.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Especially since that looks like onbaord video. Vista is choking.

4. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Yeah- Vista and all of its visual and graphical 'enhancements' require a MINIMUM of 1gb RAM to run somehwat smoothly and quickly; even in the Basic version. Why they even sell PC's preloaded with Vista and only 512mb RAM is beyond me. Right click My Computer, click Properties, and you should see your "Windows Experience Index" number... it'll probably be 2 or 3. A friend recently bought a brand new Dell (Athlon64 X2 3600+ w/ 512mb) and his Index number is 2.... this is on a scale of 1 thru 10!!!! Why even sell a PC that will run at 20% when it's BRAND NEW!!!! ARRRRRRRRGGGGHHH!!!!! My advice is to double (or quadruple) your RAM and add a decent video card...... or dump Vista and go with XP ;)

hd2k

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

what score ranked low in your friends pc, sometimes people by prebuilt, and then a new video card and bam decent score, that could be the only low scoring item.

6. uberuberuber

uberuberuber Private First Class

with a a64 3000+ 1gig of pc3200 and a 6800 ultra i run vista ult. maxed out with no problems.

My advice

-512mb more ran for a 1gb total
    -Graphic card. atleast 128mb 256mb if you can.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Scale only goes to 5.9 subscore, 5.0 average...

8. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Like I said earlier ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

:eek: My bad.... I just assumed.... still, a 2 is pretty freekin' bad ;)

9. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Dont use that Vista Manager as Vistas own memory managment is very good, your only adding to what little Ram you have being used up by that application, contrary to what mis-information gets spread around, Vista uses as much memory as it needs and if you need memory for a different task the system gives it back to you, again contrary to popular belief having spare unused ram is good, its not unsed ram is wasted.

You may on a brand new Vista PC see it be a little slowish to start with as its indexing files and prefetching which aids in speeding up the PC.. this could take a short time to settle.

But like already mentioned above, you need more ram, 1GB is min and 2GB is perfect, depending on what your uning the pc for then ( if basic internet, word processing etc the onboard is fine, if you play games then you will need a dedicated graphic card ) the Intel onboard GFX will be fine as Vista Home Basic, doesnt come with the graphical Aero desktop look.

The CPU is not one of the new breed Dual Core CPUs which even though they have a lower MHZ rating than the older P4 3.20GHz thats in the PC you have, they do run much quicker, but your CPU will run Vista ok, its just the Ram.

11. c0ke

c0ke Private E-2

12. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

13. DavidGP

14. bigbazza

Thanks Halo, I feel like visiting every computer shop and checking out the Index. :D Bazza

===

15. DavidGP

I know off target possibly, but that is exactly what I did with my latest laptop, and the salesman didnt know about the index and its relevence to power in running vista.

laptop scores 3.5
    Desktop 5.5 ( let down by CPU a Core2duo E6700 ) everything else scores 5.9

16. bigbazza

hehehehe :D :cool Bazza

===

17. c0ke

c0ke Private E-2

Just got in 2GB DDR2 memory and installed it yesterday.

The memory now sits at 2.5GB total and the reponse is much improved. The index score for memory is now at 4.8 but the overall system score was still ... 2.1, I think. (I don't have access to that box as I write. )

That overall index is now influenced by the motherboard's integrated graphics. But without having Aero in the Home Basic OS version it's not going to be a problem here.

The 2GB memory cost was $74.99 including s/h USPS. I used PriceGrabber to make the purchase. YMMV.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds