can't change username

Discussion in 'Software' started by acejones, Mar 24, 2003.

1. acejones

acejones A Different Title

Ok, I have 50 laptops running Windows XP Pro. Since there is so many, I am ghosting them from one master laptop that is setup the way we want them. However, when restart the newly ghost laptop (the slave), XP won't let me change the computer name. It keeps telling me the username cannot be found (and its my username, which I used to login to the machine). I know my username is valid. I am the administrator. I don't know if its a protocol setting, but I setup a non-ghosted laptop, set it up on our domain, and it let me change the computer name. I just can't change the name after it has been ghosted. I am frustrated, as there is no point in continuing to ghost these computers if I cannont change their name. I don't know if its a network problem or a computer problem. Any ideas?

A few more details:
    I can access our network. The laptops have a wireless connection and an ethernet 10/100 connection. It doesn't matter which connection I try.

We use dynamic IP's. The wireless/wired connection grabs the correct network settings from our DHCP server.

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

you can TRY this.. but be forewarned that it may not work and you might have a funked system. I say this because I've never changed it this way..

open up regedit.. find this key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ActiveComputerName

change the name in that key to the computer name that you want. reboot.. again, I've not tested this so do so at your own risk.

3. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

in order to do a proper ghosting of XP or 2K you need to use sysprep to reset the security ID.
    Let me find a link.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2003
  4. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

you can use syspred to create one image, then install it on the machines. When they boot up they will finish the setup and you can enter the machine names and users there. It's very similar to what OEM's do with a preinstall, just not as much hassle.

5. acejones

Thanks. It shows up on M$ website for 2k. I'm assuming it will work on XP as well?

6. acejones

Nevermind. I found it.

Thank you very much! :)

7. acejones

ok...so I ghost from the master machine, then after its done, I run sysprep on the slave?

8. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

yes, that's how I've seen it done. This basicaly rerun's setup

9. acejones

cool...thanks man.

10. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

if you have a VL then you can put the key in sys prep, saves lots of typing during setup :)

11. acejones

nope...its actually pretty easy now. I ghost the machine, reboot, run sysprep (reseal in sysprep), it reboots, I go through the initial setup, reboot, then add the machine back to our domain. Alot of rebooting, but the process is only around 15 min total.

12. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

13. acejones

Thanks...I'll check it out.

14. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

glad to help, sysprep is handy for lots of things :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds