Major computer crash bad usb cord

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sandradee4u, May 19, 2008.

1. sandradee4u

sandradee4u Private E-2

My computer was working fine when my daughter plugged her ipod in and didnt notice that a mouse or something had chewed on the cord. The cord only had a few bite marks on it so I am very puzzled because it didnt even look damaged. As soon as she plugged the cord into the usb port my computer started this strange humming type beep; so she immediately unplugged it and called for me. I came over and the computer would not do anything and I noticed that it said something about the usb over using the power. It said for more information to click here. I tried to click where it said but my mouse nor the keyboard would do anything. So i turned the computer off with the power button. Upon restarting the computer; i came to the screen that says hp invent f1 system setup f10 system recovery. and making a fast beeping sound. I tried using the f1 and the f10 options with no success that computer did nothing and stayed on the same screen. I tried removing the USB drive that my daughter plugged into thinking that maybe she burnt it out. After that it wouldn't even get to the HP screen. I had a black screen and the computer power light would blink on and off. So I put the Usb port back in. Now WHAT do I do? Does anyone know what is wrong with my computer or what needs to be replaced? I'm just at a loss and do not know what else to try. I am wondering if it burned out my whole motheboard or if I need to buy a new usb or what ...does anyone know? ANY AND ALL help would be greatly appreciated! Thank You.:cry

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Hello Sandra, welcome to Major Geeks.

If you can't get any action after unplugging all the USB devices I'm afraid your pc will need to be looked at by a competent technician as there is an electrical fault.

You will have to decide about 'economic' repair.

If you are lucky your cable short may just have burnt out one or more USB sockets. On some motherboards these are electrically separate from other parts of the circuit so the pc can continue to function with these dead.

If you are unlucky the onboard controller of the electrical supply to the USB may also power other parts of your motherboard.
    If this has been damaged, you will need certain transistors replaced.

3. sandradee4u

sandradee4u Private E-2

ok thank you for the reply

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Are your mouse and keyboard both USB? If you have PS/2 ports, you may want to grab both a PS/2 mouse and keyboard because you can't press F1 or F10 if the computer can't see a mouse or keyboard. That might have been the reason for the beeping; it couldn't find an input device. If it works with the PS/2 devices then maybe only the USB ports are gone. A cheap fix is to buy a card with USB ports on it and use them instead of the built in ones.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds