safe to delete?

Discussion in 'Software' started by InYearsToCome, Jun 30, 2003.

1. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

are there certain files in XP

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Temp

that should NOT be deleted? or is it safe to clear them all out and let programs recreate their temp files?

just wondering cause i'mm lookin to free a little space.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

So long as you havent installed any programs to it, you can delete the contents. Some files may be in use (they are still temp files), so you may need to do it from Safe Mode.

3. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Yup. Clear it and Windows\Temp, too, unless you chose Temp as the install-to folder for some program. Windows won't let you delete a ~xxx.tmp file that's currently in use, but if you clean out all of the others and then reboot, you can go back and get the last one(s).

Some programs use Temp as storage for working data folders and/or files, but those files and folders are useless once you've left the program session.

My Win\Temp folder always has a working tmp from my firewall in it, but the firewall program deletes it when I shut down and creates a new one when I re-boot. If I try to delete that file while the firewall is running, Windows won't let me.

If your programs don't clean up their own garbage, you might consider cleaning out your Temp folders once a week or so.

4. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

ok thanks, just making sure

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds