how do i enable ip routing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MasterFox, May 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterFox

MasterFox Private E-2

i did an ipconfig /all and found out that ip routing is not enabled for my other computer, which cannot connect to the internet for some reason. However, this laptop has ip routing enabled. how do i enable it?

2. dedub

dedub Corporal

3. dedub

dedub Corporal

I have to add some info on IP routing so you are not confused. IP routing has nothing to do with you being able to connect to the internet. You have other issues. IP routing is used only when you set up ICS, ISA server, *some packet capture programs*, Servers with 2 network cards and a few other instances. Unless your running or using that computer in those capacities routing is not your issue, at least to get on the internet. Post more specifics and symptoms and maybe we can help you.

4. MasterFox

MasterFox Private E-2

well this laptop is connected to the same network, and can also connect to the internet. however, one of my computers, which used to connect to the network and internet fine, can only connect to the network and cannot find the internet. this started happening like a week ago.

5. dedub

dedub Corporal

Again, be more specific. what OS are you running? Are you connecting through DSL or Broadband? Do you have a router? By network do you mean a domain or some type of workgroup? Can you ping an Internet IP address ie... ping www.yahoo.com in a cmd prompt? Are any other programs like virus updates, firewalls or windows updates able to get on but just not your browser? Let us know.

6. MasterFox

MasterFox Private E-2

Um, i'm running XP Home SP2, and connecting through broadband. yes i have a router, and by network i mean my like home network. i'm not sure how to ping an ip address through the cmd prompt, but windows updates and firewalls and stuff aren't able to get online either.

7. dedub

dedub Corporal

OK, lets start with the ipconfig info. Are you getting a 192.168.X.X address. Im assuming you are because you can still share files and stuff so that is a good thing. Could your router be blocking your requests? Or maybe the firewall on the SP2 is acting up. A suggestion that I always recommend is to run the network wizard again also. And to clarify the ping thing I mentioned...
    go to start, Run, and type CMD then hit enter. In that cmd prompt, type ping www.yahoo.com if for what ever reason you cannot browse but you can ping an address like that or any other for that matter then you HAVE internet connectivity just a browser or DNS issue.

8. castironpuppet

castironpuppet Private E-2

sorry for reopening this dead topic,

I have the exact same problem as the person who posted this topic, I am using WinXP x64 however. I get internet on my laptop, but not my desktop. I used to get internet on my desktop up until two days ago and Ive been trying to fix the problem for the past two days but everything seems right but still no internet. I can access files between the two though. my laptop is using the ip address 192.168.1.103 and my desktop is using 192.168.1.102. My firewalls are disabled and I turned off all security features on my router. I pinged yahoo.com just like you said and it worked, so Im not sure what the problem is. Can anyone help me out?

9. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

From command prompt, do a IPCONFIG /ALL and post the results.

From command prompt, do a NSLOOKUP WWW.COMPLETE-CS.COM and post the results.

10. castironpuppet

Any ideas?

11. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

OK....what on your Internet is not working?

What happens when you try to go to www.complete-cs.com?

It appears that your DNS is working enough to resolve an IP address.

12. castironpuppet

oh wow, suddenly my internet started working again when I tried going there (typing the address in an explorer address bar), but then it doesnt work at all when I open iexplorer or try to connect any programs to the internet (tried AIM and Azureus)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  13. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

14. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

What firewall software do you have?

15. castironpuppet

nope, doesnt work. it does work when I type it in my computer or any othe folder though

16. castironpuppet

Im using Nvidia firewall and windows, both are disabled right now though

17. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

My suggestion......uninstall the firewall software......do you have the cd's to install it again?

Your network setup looks ok.....there is something else blocking your Internet access. I'm just getting a feeling that perhaps something related to the firewall software is doing it.

18. castironpuppet

Ill give it a try and post back if it works

19. castironpuppet

It worked, thank you for all of your help and support

20. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Uhhhh....you're not done yet. You should reinstall the firewall software again. I suspect that somehow the firwall blocked port 80 or something else that kept you off of the Internet. I would suggest that when you reinstall it that you be careful in answering the questions of what you want blocked.

You're welcome.

21. dchristman

dchristman Private E-2

Question on this guys. From what I read this was working when he typed a web address in my computer which made me think IE was hosed. My Computer would also use port 80 wouldn't it? Was the firewall possibly only blocking IE and was this by program and not port?

22. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Good point......

I'm sure these firewall applications can also block a program. As I think about it, this was probably what was happening. The real issue with dealing with these firewall applications, as I have found out, sometimes it is not enough to simply turn them off.

23. MelDJ

MelDJ Private E-2

Hello all, I had the same problem. I fixed it by going into the device manager under network adapters, I deleted all of them. After doing so I rebooted and the laptop auto detected them and installed them again and my internet was back to normal. Hope this helps someone who has this problem in the future that has yet to visit this page. ;)

24. stephanie.martin1

stephanie.martin1 Private E-2

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me. I'm trying to fix my neighbors computer. It's a Toshiba Satellite L25. The wireless internet will connect but none of the programs will connect to the internet through a wireless LAN connection. The Dial-up and virtual private connections are on never dial a connection and nothing under the LAN settings is checked. I also have already reset the Winsock Settings and replaced the Internet Explorer, but the IE isn't the only program not using the connection. Like I said, it's the whole laptop.

25. Guaje871

Guaje871 Private E-2

Hey i know this thread its really old but see if u can help me. i have the same problem i just fixed my router and i can access internet wirelessly but when i try to access it from my desktop <which is connected to the router through cable> i cant.
    I ping my router and google and its working but Internet explorer doenst work. When i run the network diagnostic tool it shows i dont have acces to http, https and ftp. My DNS and IP Address are set to automatic and my firewall is off. Also when i tried to create another broadband conection it doesnt show it on my network conections. Im using Windows XP Media Centre Edition and my router is a D-link dir 615
    Any ideas what is wrong? Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds