Outlook won't connect

Discussion in 'Software' started by robert707, Sep 30, 2005.

1. robert707

robert707 Corporal

When trying to access my mail from my ISP through Outlook , i repeatedley get a window asking my log in with my user name and password. It never works. Clicking on cancel i get
    an error window that says this:

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your User Name was rejected. Account: 'mail.cyberus.ca', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC91

But when i go to the library to check my e-mail from there it works fine on other pc's. So i know its not my ISP.

what i don't know from this message is where is says: Server Response: ' -ERR', Port: 110
    does that mean there was a problem with a "port" on my pc?

Also , when it says : Server Error: 0x800CCC90 doesn't that mean that it is a server error? But then why would it work from the library?

could this be a virus? Cause the rest of my pc functions are their usual slow, cranky self. :)

Any help would be great.

2. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

Are you using the correct name and password? Are you using the correct pop3 and smtp settings?

3. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Hi Robert,

Is it Microsoft Outlook 2000 Standard Edition?

Steve

4. robert707

robert707 Corporal

Matacumbie: When i click on "about Micrsoft Outlook Express" under the 'help' menu it says it's Microsoft Outlook Express 5. I did get the pc in 2001 though so it might be that version.

Prophets21: Ok i found out what was wrong but still have a question. I checked under TOOLS...ACCOUNTS..then the settings...and the address for my "Incoming Mail" had been change from the name of my ISP's server to "127.0.0.1" , i changed it back and then the program worked again!

But i never changed these settings...my virus software isnt picking anything up. Any idea how this happend? I recently switched to e-mule for downloading could this be causing this?

5. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

I have no idea how your outlook settings could have been changed without your permission. :confused:

6. Jercro

Jercro Private E-2

127.0.0.1 is the address your antivirus uses for scanning email.
    Some antivirus programs use this for POP3 accounts. It doesn't effect the antivirus to change it. It will still catch viruses in emails. Just checks them after they are on computer instead of before.

What happens is if you change your AntiVirus program to not scan email or update the AV to a program that doesn't use the 127.0.0.1 address, it will still be listed as your email server. I have never figured out why AV can't re-do these settings when you upgrade or uninstall the program, but that is uaually what happens.

The easiest work around is to tell the AV not to scan existing email accounts when you install the program. Then when you have the program installed and everything scanned and up to date, go into settings and turn on scan email.
    That will usually leave the existing email settings as they should be, but still scan any incoming email.

Hope this helps with future problems with 127.0.0.1

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds