Possible to track sites visited if history is erased?

Discussion in 'Software' started by kreese, Nov 3, 2005.

1. kreese

kreese Private E-2

Our computer has Windows 98. Is it possible to check up on the sites visited on Internet Explorer even if the history has been erased? Heard rumors that this can be done, but I don't know how. Any help/advice?

2. Brandon

Brandon controlmind

You could try checking:

Start>Run>Type:
    Code:
    C:\WINDOWS\History
    or

Start>Run>regedit>Navigate to the following keys: HKEY_CURRENT_USER>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Internet Explorer>TypedURLs

Otherwise I do not know of a program that can check....

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  3. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

The information you want is stored on an Index.dat file I think.

There are some programs that will allow you to view these files, such as Index.Dat Suite or WinSpy, which includes a viewer.

4. Genius

Genius Private E-2

Nice info folks!!!

5. kreese

kreese Private E-2

Thanks for your help. Husband would excommunicate me if I downloaded anything onto his computer, but I'll try all the non-download options. Appreciate your advice!

6. farmertx

farmertx Private E-2

Using the start run C:\Windows\History will bring up file holding last 3-4 days, depending on setting of options. Click day shown and double click a folder to see full name of site. Use back to return to folder and vuew other sites visited.

7. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

8. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Cleaners.

Download/install and run these 3. All are free and don't conflict with each other.
    Each finds stuff the other 2 miss.

Cleanup! www.stevengould.org/
    (It works well, FWIW), together with

CCleaner http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4191
    as Major Attitude recommended

and EmpTemp http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1575 ,
    as a 3 pronged attack on stuff accumulated after every net session.

I have been using these 3, all FREE, for ages now. Each finds stuff the other 2 miss.

These 3 will clean out almost everything, but, I believe, that user.dat accumulates history and cannot be cleared out/ deleted, on a regular basis like index.dat.

Don't delete user.dat like you can delete index.dat or trouble will result.

Someone else please step in regarding user.dat as I would like to know further info on user.dat, which may be helpful to pass on to others reading this thread, as well.

Bazza

9. bigbazza

Bump. I'd like your views on user.dat.
    Its purpose?
    Can it be deleted, edited, or has it to be left alone, as I suspect. Bazza

10. Tom K

Tom K Private First Class

Hello.
    This is a topic I am interested in and have been working with up until about two weeks ago. The two programs that Insomniac recommended, Index.Dat Suite and WinSpy, can those also work on Windows XP Professional? And do they allow you to view and save all the files found in C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files, and then give you the option to delete all of them? Also, is it a good idea to delete the index.dat file, or just all the files after it within the folder I listed above? If you need me to clarify any of these questions, I'll be glad to do so. Thank you for your reply.

11. bigbazza

Index.dat should be deleted regularly, otherwise it just grows and grows. It keeps records of all the sites you have visited. The 3 programs that I listed will clean out all the crap.
    MA and I both recommended CCleaner. (see previous replies). I use all 3, though, daily.

Index.dat will reconstitute itself (the next time you reboot) after any of these programs have flagged it for deletion. It will start off at a minimum size, but will grow unless you delete it. Deleting it does no harm.
    Bazza
    ===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds