Copying Files

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dumb_Question, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

I am copying the 'My Documents' folder to an external HD using the Explorer copy function (icon driven)

When the copy operation is complete, the folders do not appear to be same size (number of bytes). Is this an indication that the folders are not identical and that the copy has been corrupted during the copy process ?

When I have done FTP of 400MB I use as a check that the number of bytes in the original and image is indentical. It always is, exactly.

Dumb_Question
    17.November.2011

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I wouldn't expect them to be the same as the copy won't include the hidden system file desktop.ini and possibly others.

3. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

Thanks for that explanation,
    how do I make an identical copy ? In fact how do I control which files are copied ?

Dumb_Question
    17.November.2011

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You would first need to set Explorer view to display hidden and system files, which is not recommended in normal use. Though I'm not certain they would copy even then - you would need to test it.

5. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Also you may want to use robocopy, its command line, but it does the job.

You may want to use free file sync, it will compare the folder for you. I use foldermatch, its shareware & well worth the money if you want to see if 2 folders are the same.

Another thing is download teracopy, it's a more robust file copy replacement to explorer's. You can bypass teracopy by hitting scroll lock btw.

6. jamvaru

jamvaru Private E-2

i decided i did not like teracopy; it skipped a whole bunch of files for no apparent reason; then offers no options other than 'clean'
    i recall something called smartcopy or smartcopier but i can't find it
    is there something like teracopy that competes with it?
    i am going to use toucan for now

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds