DSL Modem/Router Issue...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Athran8, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Athran8

Athran8 Guest

Hello,

Having an issue with my home network and hope someone here can help me.

We have a DSL line with SBC Yahoo!. It will stay connected to the modem fine.

If I connect it to my router so that I can use both computers, that's where the trouble begins.

Example: Today I began with a connection to the internet. My computer was hooked directly to the DSL modem. I then disconnected it from the modem, plugged in the router to the modem and then plugged my computer to the router. I then rebooted my computer. Next I connected the other computer to the router. Both computers had a connection.

About two hours later or so, after some down time I disconnected my IMs and tried to do something else for a bit. When I tried to use my browser (Firefox), the connection was gone.

I wen downstairs, disconnected the computer from the router, the router from the modem, and reconnected my computer to the modem. I had a connection again.

I did not turn off the modem. Also, the DSL light on the modem has not gone out.

That was today.

In the past I believe I've done the instructions that came with the router to the hilt, and have had a connection to both computers, but it has never lasted.

I would like the "always on connection" I was promised. I don't want to be charged another $90 + visit from SBC.

Although going up and down the stairs to my basement has definitely strengthened my legs...this is getting old.

any advice would be great,
    mike

p.s. Computer 1: Win XP SP2, 850MHz Pent. 3, 512MB SDRAM, Mozilla Firefox
    Computer 2: Win XP SP1, 850MHz Pent. 3, 384MB SDRAM, Win. Explorer

2. Athran8

Athran8 Guest

Ok,

I know someone has had a problem like this before.

I'll only bump it once though.

mike

3. djlowe

djlowe Private First Class

Hi,

I don't have any specific experience with SBC Yahoo!, but if it's anything like Verizon's DSL service, then it might use PPPoE (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet).

If that's the case, then your router needs to be configured to authenticate to SBC Yahoo! via PPPoE. Once it does that, any computer attached to it can use the connection without having to use PPPoE: The computers "talk" to the router and the router "talks" to SBC Yahoo! via PPPoE.

Most router/firewall/NAT boxes available today can do that, you just have to configure them to do so.

Regards,

dj

4. Athran8

Athran8 Guest

Thanks for the response,

Yes, I've done exactly what the router states I must do to set up the PPPoE connection. Unfortuately, in the past, that connection has only lasted for a short time and will eventually disconnect.

I've checked out the menu on the modem and it has three options:

1 Use the modem as the PPPoE connection and use just one computer. If I want to use this mode with a router I must change the ISP (or IP address) of the router. I'm guessing so that it looks like a computer device? I tried this, but when I reset the routers ISP (or IP address), the routers menus were inaccessable, even when I typed in the new address into the explorer bar. (It's been a while since I"ve fooled with it, so I cannot remeber every detail. The reason being, I waited for an SBC tech. to come out and help.)

2 To set whatever it is connected to as the PPPoE device...i.e. a router or a computer. I tried that, and it didn't work either.

3 Finally there is "bridge mode", it sounds like you just use the modem as a another link in the chain so to speak. I don't remember, and I"m afraid to fool to much with it while I have a connection.

The connection hasn't dropped to the modem since the guy from SBC left, but I cannot get it to work with my router. I'm willing to try something again...just not sure what. I could have connected cables in the past in the wrong order or I don't know. I'm trying to see if I can keep a connection for at least 10 days, as recommended by SBC before I try anything else. But further advice would be great. Tired of switching the cables back and forth in my modem for the two computers when a perfectly good router is sitting right next to it.

thanks again,
    mike

5. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

If connection via Router, you need to set the modem to "Bridge" mode, and let the Router handle PPPoE mode. I am guessing you have the 5100B modem, if not, what model of modem are you using?

http://www2.broadbandreports.com/faq/amfaq

Router Info:

SBC/Ameritech DSL uses PPPoE as the link protocol.

If the modem is configured for Bridged Mode (PPPoE not used) an internet connection is not possible with SBC/Ameritech DSL.
    Bridged Mode (PPPoE not used) changes the link protocol to RFC1483 (RFC 2684B)
    Other SBC regions don't use PPPoE exclusively as SBC/Ameritech does.

The modem's GUI can be accessed from behind a router when set for "PPP is on the modem"
    When connecting the 5100b to a router or firewall use the 2 options listed below.

Let the modem do the PPP and issue a public IP to wan/internet port of router
    Enter your username and password in the modem
    The option of PPP is on the modem must be selected on the modem
    The option of Yes, use public IP address must be selected on the modem
    Configure the router for DHCP on the wan/internet port

Let your router do the PPPoE
    The option of PPP is on the computer must be selected on the modem
    Configure the router for PPPoE on the wan/internet port.

6. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

7. Press2Esc

Press2Esc Private E-2

Since you didnt list your dsl modem or router, no specifics are available. :rolleyes: Put your dsl modem in bridge ethernet mode and set your router to PPPoE (or equiv).

P2E

8. Athran8

Athran8 Guest

Sorry for not responding...life got busy.

Thanks for all of the advice.

I will try it and see if I can get the network up and running. Right now I've kept a connection for a while through the modem...depending on which computer I want connected to the internet, I switch the cable on the back of the modem.

Here's the info on the modem and router for future reference if needed:

modem: Siemens Speedstream 4100
    router: Dynex DX-E401 (Best Buy)

later,
    mike

9. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

The 4100 is not a bridge modem. SBC buys the cheaper version.

Google for 4100 modems

There is a article on dslreports that describes how to config this. Also, I am in the midst of moving from dialup to DSL, and I will post what I find to config afterward.

:D

10. Athran8

Athran8 Guest

Thanks,

I'll definitely google.

I tried a config. a while back, after i posted my last response, and I lost my connnection.

I can't keep a connection if I set the router to PPPoE. The problem is definitely somewhere between the router and the modem...because I can use the modem by itself just fine. It's puzzling. No ones said anything about the router I have. If someone knows anything about it, that would be great.

I still have some configs. to try, but school and work have started for me and so I don't have the free time I used to, to play with it.

Thanks for the advice though.
    later,
    mike

11. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

138838831 there was a lot of config info on this page. The modem is designed for one and one only connection, but it is possible to config a router downstream.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds