windows.old.001?

Discussion in 'Software' started by RDW, Mar 7, 2010.

1. RDW

RDW Private E-2

What is it. Can i safely delete it? Can I restore it, and why would I?

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

This is directly on your system (C:\ in most cases) drive? Do you also have a C:\Windows directory?

If so, I would suspect that someone has installed windows on the drive a second time without destroying the first install. When someone does that, each windows installation directory will be numbered incrementally (001, 002, etc.), much like this one is.

To confirm your active windows directory, please do the following:

1. Press Windows Key + R (Or click Start --> Run in 2000/XP, just the start orb in Vista/Win7)
    2. In the 'Run' dialog (or Search bar on Vista/Win7), type CMD, and press enter
    3. In the command prompt, type "echo %systemroot%" (without the quotes) and press enter.

This will print the directory of your active windows directory. If it is NOT Windows.old.001, and you are happy with the windows install you are working in, you are likely fine to remove the directory.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds