Erratic booting (Win7), sometimes just hangs at color logo

Discussion in 'Software' started by icekool, Jul 15, 2010.

1. icekool

icekool Private E-2

Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone has some ideas about what to check or inspect. I am not getting the best experience with my new win7 laptop so far, sometimes it is taking far too long to boot, it just hangs at the color logo for a few minutes before getting to the logon screen.

NB, this is not every time however, sometimes it boots really nice and fast. I would guess that it hangs about 60% of the time, which is not really good enough. My machine is very new, I haven't any malware, I run Firefox with noscript, I have Norton IS 2010, Malwarebytes, all fully updated, win7 fully updated, I dont click on stupid links or install untrusted apps.

I have also disabled unecessary startup items such as Adobe, Java updater, a few of the pre-installed Toshiba bloatware apps, I have also used CCleaner to get rid of unecessary temp files and registry errors (always backup any registry changes, but CCleaner doesnt go too deep into this usually, unlike some other registry tools).

Any suggestions much appreciated.

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

How old is the machine?

That's very erratic behavior, sometimes boots fast, sometimes takes minutes.

On the software side, updates that were downloaded can sometimes take a few minutes to finish installing, but this would be very infrequent, (unless you only start your machine once every two weeks).

I'd be more inclined to suspect hardware, hence my question as to how old. You may want to bring it back to the store or contact the manufacturer.

What did you use to disable the startup programs?

3. icekool

icekool Private E-2

hi, the machine is 2 weeks old (Toshiba laptop), I manually do updates so that I can see everything thats occuring, I never forget to check for updates for windows (around once per week), and my security suite (daily without fail), so there are no updates being configured.

I used msconfig to disable a few startups

4. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

2 weeks?

Why don't you return it. I'd guess you got a lemon.

5. icekool

icekool Private E-2

hi ya brandy my friend, yes indeed, I have been on to them and am getting a full refund and postage/shipping fully paid, I am also getting a refund for the extended warranty I purchased and the insurance + the top of the range carry case..........

I can tell you, the last 2 weeks have been the worst ever nightmare in my 15 year computing experience. I dont think I will ever be able to trust a laptop again, I think the manufacturers are stupid morons, whats the point of making a 2.5 inch hd???, why should it be that small?, there are countless forums around with people complaining about hard disks failing within 14 - 18 months, they should concentrate on improving components and cooling in laptops and keep the hds as big as possible for mechanical room to move with solid components until ssds are the norm. All they want to do is whack higher power faster cpus and gpus into the same boxes, this is begging for trouble unless they find a new cooling technique.

So, upon reflection:-

Laptops = Garbage :boxing

6. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

I had a similar problem with an HP laptop where it was freezing up at that same spot on Win 7.

What you may want to do is visit your manufacturers website and check for any new updates to drivers, etc. Specifically, I would look for BIOS updates, Video Card updates, etc. Apply those and see if it doesn't work better.

7. icekool

icekool Private E-2

hi, perhaps if you take a quick look at my last post above you will see the situation, but thanks anyway. Oh, I did all the updates, BIOS, several drivers, loads of windows updates.......----------->>>>still the same garbage

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds