Wrong Clam?

Discussion in 'Software' started by greenknight32, Jan 19, 2007.

1. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

I tried to download ClamAV SOSDG from MajorGeeks, Free Download Manager said I was downloading ClamWin. What gives? I have just been trying out ClamWin (It's really slow), and I wanted to compare this other version - instead I saw the exact same file I had already downloaded from SourceForge appearing again. I stopped that download, went to the SOSDG home page and found another mirror where I got the correct file.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Mislabelled, perhaps?

The download page itself does say the following:

Not surprising to me as MG is primarily a Windows download site.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Use the Report a Bad Link to alert MA or CP to this being a wrong'un and they will look into it and adjust as its the quickest way to notify them of link issues on the main downloads site.

4. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

@ Mada_Milty - they're 2 different ports of ClamAV to Windows. ClamWin has a cute GUI, and is painfully slow. The SOSDG version is a command-line scanner, and incorporates a daemon that's supposed to speed up scanning. I want to see if it's really any faster.

@Halo - Thanks for the link. I figured there was some procedure for reporting problems like that, just didn't know what it was

5. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Ahhh, nice! I never knew! I wasn't too impressed with ClamWin myself.

7. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

Sadly, I can't get it to work. The syntax is simple enough that I expected no trouble, but I keep getting a message that the syntax is not correct when I enter a command to run it. One thing after another...

8. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

I got it to run, finally. Nothing wrong with their syntax, it's my brain that's broken.:eek: It does seem to scan a little faster than ClamWin. For me, it's not enough faster to make up for the features it lacks, and the inconvenience.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds