Run Netflix w/Linux

Discussion in 'Software' started by katcelata, Jul 29, 2008.

1. katcelata

katcelata Private First Class

Does anyone know, can I run Netflix Instant Watch on an Asus eee 4g hard drive with Linux? Netflix knows its been done, but doesn't know how- I am about to bid on a sweet price Asus, and this is one thing I do a lot on the road, watch Instant Watch... oh my I need a life! tks! kat

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Boy if you figure this one out let me know! I'm Netflix subscriber and don't have XP on any computer so I have never streamed a movie.
    Maybe the person(s) that did it was running WINE because it also won't work in FF; it needs IE. Since IE won't run in linux, either WINE is running or the eeepc had windows XP on it.

3. katcelata

Well, I won the auction, cause this was too good to let go by, so I guess we will find out! Just on a quick search I did find some discussion on this on Linux forums, which I bookmarked- one of the threads seemed to think that running on an external hard drive is part of the answer as the Asus eee doesn't have the requisite cache- that'll work alright for me, I intended to external it anyway. I will seriously check this out, and keep you in the loop, I really do love my Netflix, and I have used Instant Watch so much that the tiny price I pay is invisible- (the History Channel series "Last Days of WWII is PHENOMENAL, but don't get the tiny watch at home, try to watch the entire series, if we can get this figured out!)
    I'm not going to pursue it tonight because I am too invested in listening to my Red Sox get Slaughtered. (BENCH MANNY, BENCH HIM- never thought I'd say that but he just performed very poorly, intentionally and I have lost my intensive faith in him after great provocation.)
    Regardless, and I am not bitter, but I will be very happy to copy links to you as I find good solutions. Would the new gizmo that Netflix offers to stream to your TV work, or is that an ingenuous solution, as Netflix is not connecting intitially? New worlds for me to conquer my friend!:cool
    Best, kat

4. katcelata

Hey, I'M A PFC NOW!!! I am proud of myself. The Guinness is on me, Majors

Hey Plodr, I got suddenly rejuvenated, in the 9th Pedroia broke the no-hitter and Youklis followed it with a two-run homer, so I have some energy- check out this link:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-620640.html
    There are some seriously interesting suggestions, and you are a Major, you undoubtedly have the can-do to get one of these suggestions up and running- keep me posted, ok?
    (Hope I am not irritating other team fans- I seriously love my team, but I love YOURS too!)
    xx kat

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Well, from what I'm reading, people doing this installed VirtualBox or VMPlayer then XP inside. With only 1.4GB of usable space, this isn't an option for me. Thanks for posting the thread.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

7. katcelata

Thanks Adrynalyne (cool name) I will check that out. Plodr- I'm going to go the route of an external hard drive- I have seen 250 GB Toshibas on Ebay very very low. I should have the Asus eee in about a week, so I'll let you know how I make out.

8. katcelata

Plodr, check out that link Adrynalyne posted- it looks like a lifesaver.:cool

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds