Computer freezes, CPU fails, solution?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lochy, Jun 13, 2012.

1. lochy

lochy Private E-2

Computer freezes, CPU fails, solution?

I recently have this problem. My computer HP dc7700 SFF freezes randomly.
    I keep this computer on all the time for running a teamspeak server (very light use).
    The computer freezes randomly, usualy when I'm not using it for a while (I use another computer for general use) The computer will just freeze, the screen stops, can't move the mouse, numlock on keyboard has no response. There's no event log on computer management. I have no idea what's going on.

I open the case and find that the cpu heatsink is cold. The fan of the CPU and PSU are working and don't seem to be overheat, I can eject the DVD-drive's tray. The screen stop, if it freezes for a long time, it will just have black screen. I can force shut down and start and work again.

So does can anyone know what's the problem? CPU failing? anything I can do to fix it? any help is appreciated :)

The computer's spec:
    Core2Duo 1.86Ghz
    128mb ATI x600
    3GB DDR2 Ram
    2X 2TB drives,
    DVD-burner
    Window XP

2. 4ty8er

4ty8er Private E-2

Check any programs installed lately. A firewall is a likely candidate. Uninstall any third party starting with the last one installed... then re-start and re-test............. not likely the cpu.
    Hope this helps.

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

I don't see a firewall causing a computer to freeze and the display go black. My first thought is heat. You say the CPU heatsink is cool, but there are dozens of heat sensitive components on a motherboard. So first make sure the interior is clean of heat trapping dust. You might try blasting a deskfan in there (after you clean) to see if the problem goes away.

Also, I always want to ensure I am providing good, clean and stable power to my computer before troubleshooting so I would swap in a known good PSU to see what happens. Unfortunately, being a SFF computer, your PSU upgrade/replacement options will be limited.

4. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , welcome to MG's :major

First thought of me , you have to check hdd's health using this tool

http://majorgeeks.com/Hard_Disk_Sentinel_d7520.html

second thought of me , you have to check ram's health using this utility

http://majorgeeks.com/MemTest_d350.html

for 6 hours at least :wave

5. Digerati

While I agree RAM and drive problems can cause these issues, as well as a failing graphics solution, failing motherboard/bad cap, overclocking, or even malware. But still, except for the malware, everything else depends on being fed good, clean, stable power - especially overclocking.

I say, "start at the wall." If you have never checked your wall outlets, get an AC Outlet Tester. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Walmart.

I think we can skip, "is it turned on and plugged in" though checking to ensure all power cables are securely connected is essential too. They can easily be bumped loose when digging in there, or, if not secured properly in the first place, work themselves loose through vibrations from motors, accidental kicks, bumps and heavy footfalls.

It is not a waste of time to verify good power when troubleshooting probable hardware problems, not when EVERYTHING depends on it.

For memtest, I agree to let it run for a long time, through several passes. I generally say, "overnight". There should be 0 errors - not even 1. But sadly, no software based RAM tester is perfect and bad RAM can still test good. But I have never seen RAM tagged by Memtest or Windows 7 built in tester as bad when it was really good. So if they test bad, they are bad. But if they test good, they may still not work with Windows, or that specific motherboard. And some times, RAM that passes every test may still not play well with other sticks.

6. lochy

lochy Private E-2

tested the ram for 11 hours with no error and here is some update: i tried the HWInfo ( http://www.hwinfo.com/ ) and the log showed that the CPU voltage and temperature were fine. The computer just stopped and crashed. Screen are stopped, cant move the mouse and thing like that. The CPU was cold, all the fans are moving. I can still use the computer after i restart it. The crashes are pretty random sometimes after one day, sometimes after 2 or more days.
    anyone have any idea? I can upload the log if needed.

7. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Install and launch Hard Drive Sentinel.

8. Digerati

Several were already offered. Again, if your PSU is failing (they don't always just stop) that could be it. Heat is still on the table. Is the interior clean of heat-trapping dust?

It does not have to be the CPU overheating for this to be a heat issue. Just about ANY component on the motherboard or elsewhere could be having difficulties handling the heat, either from a manufacturing defeat, physical damage, collateral damage, or simple premature failure. Or a lack of good front-to-back air flow through the case. It is the case's responsibility to remove the heat. So again, a desk fan is offered for a troubleshooting idea.

Leaky capacitors are (or were) a common cause of these problems. I say were because most motherboard makers no longer use electrolytic caps, but now use solid (vs liquid - NOTHING to do with "solid state") caps. So inspect the motherboard looking for tall soda can shaped devices, many of which will be located surrounding the CPU socket. If leaky, you will see dried foam, white to dark brown, oozing from the top, side seam, or bottom. Bulging caps are near the leaking point.

Motherboards can be re-capped by any experienced technician, and there are sites that do it very reasonably. But generally, it is an indication to upgrade your system.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds