Case Door Fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BeerMonkey, Oct 16, 2004.

1. BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey Master Sergeant

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

have you got a guard/grill on the fan? if so try loosening it, because it might be too tight. either that or the fan is faulty/dying!
    you might have the outder metal chrome on too tightly, i have exactly the same case and the chrome was on too tightly when it came, so the fan wouldn't even move!

3. BeerMonkey

Did you PSU die yet?
    Not the grill.
    I tried loosing it.

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Umm, loosening it will make it rattle. In that scenario I would bend the grill out so that it doesn't touch the fan blades.

You could try getting rid of the grills all together. That will stop air noise.

When you say, noisy, what do you mean exactly?

5. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

i got rid of the grills, and no my psu is fine that came with it. have you tried taking the fan off the window and seeing if it rattles without being onto the case?

6. BeerMonkey

Noise as in i can hear the AIR FLOW.

7. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

oh right i see what you mean, yeah i can hear air flow too but i think you just have to get used to it. have you got a black fan tucked in the corner by the front usb and firewire ports? i think that's making quite a noisey air flow, and i've installed another fan to suck out air, so two fans blowing in (front and side) and 2 at the back sucking out.

8. BeerMonkey

I have 3 fan in currently.
    2 at the back.
    One on the side.
    I have a spare fan but im adding that later.
    Any way i can controll the speed of this fan?

9. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

YES there is. You could try the 7V trick. You use the (yellow) 12V+ rail as positive and the +5V rail (red) as negetive. This gives you an overall voltage of 7V, which is enough to get the fan going to start with (5V isnt enough) but not so much that the fan is going too fast.

You could always put a Pot inline with the power supply, since its DC you can apply normal resistors in series theory to it.

10. BeerMonkey

The Fan also have 3 L.E.D lights.
    Show what you are saying is, pull out the the black wires and only use the red and yellow?

11. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

12. BeerMonkey

How does a fan controller work?

13. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

You might try swapping out the side fan in favour of a stealth (low-noise) fan. They move less air, so they're quieter. The side fan is the one you'll hear most of.

I'm using a Vantec Stealth SF8025L and a Cooler Master SAF-B83. Both produce less than 26dbA but move around 30CFM of air. They produce almost no audible mechanical noise -- just the sound of moving air. 26dbA is not much of that.

And yeah, you can buy fan speed controllers. Neither the fans nor a controller will break your bank.

14. BeerMonkey

15. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

I'd be surprised if it couldn't. The Molex connectors are pretty much a standard for case fans.

But best to check with the supplier or manufacturer. You can hold them accountable for bad info; you'll have trouble doing that here.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds