Toshiba Satellite Pro L40

Discussion in 'Software' started by bitchinsahsa, Dec 18, 2009.

1. bitchinsahsa

bitchinsahsa Private E-2

Hey guys,

I need some help. My friend has brought her laptop to me as it no longer loads up to see if I can fix it. I have had a look on the Internet and I can't see anything that would realistically fix the machine. The machine is running Vista Basic.

This is the problem and I am hoping someone has a solution for me:

When switching on the machine the power light goes to green but nothing else happens. The disk light does not come on and the screen is completely blank. I can't load anything on the machine to try and get into safe mode, I have no way of getting into the Bios or anything as it just doesn't seem to be loading up. Now I have read alot recently about updates from Microsoft causing these types of issues and the "Black Screen of Death" and I don't know if that is the case here or if the screen is just broken. I did put the recovery disk in and the disk started spinning but I have no idea if it was working as I couldn't see anything on the screen.

I unfortunately don't have a space monitor to plug this into to see if the screen is just buggered but I honestly don't think it it, since there doesn't seem to be any disk activity either.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me to try? I would try and wipe it with a Vista disk I have but I don't know if that would work and want to try and save what is on the machine before I even try that.

Any help would be appreciated and if you need any more info just let me know.

Thanks,
    Kerry.

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Kerry...

A few things you might consider trying, if you haven't already:

Since you can access the 'net, hit the Toshiba forums, see if anyone else has had similar problems...

Pull out the hard drive, RAM, and battery, make sure there's nothing foreign in the bays, and re-seat...

Make sure none of the fans are obstructed - some machines have fan fail-safes...

Try to boot from the Vista disk you mentioned, as a troubleshooting procedure...

Keep us posted...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds