How do I manually install a driver in Win. 7?

Discussion in 'Software' started by whicky1978, May 13, 2010.

1. whicky1978

whicky1978 Staff Sergeant

I have a docking station that can cold an external drive drive and connects by a usb cable (sata reader), but Windows 7 is installing a CD driver instead of a hard drive driver. is there a way that I can install the HDD driver to make it work?

With the CD driver, Win. 7 shows the drive in disk management but it can be paritioned or formatted.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

You would likely need a driver from the maker of you.r USB docking station (what is the make and model) to install the hardware correctly as portable HDD over a CD drive, dont think you can just install what would be a regular HDD driver for say an internal SATA drive,

Check makers site for a upto date Win7 compatible driver

3. whicky1978

Masscool is the manufactorer but unfortately they don't have much support. All I have is the PC Clone Ex lite software. I downloaded the driver for my Samsung HD160JJ/P but there is not an inf. file which is all windows will allow me to use.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Ho

What model is it, although I have been to their site and they have nothing listed for support drivers, so did you also get a driver disk? are their any Windows 7 or at least Vista drivers on the CD?

When you installed Windows 7 was this a clean install or an upgrade over a previopus Windows version, if the upgrade what Windows version was the upgrade from?

Did you also re-install or install the chipset drivers for your PC again? do you have any yellow ! marks in device manager, if so what?

HDD drivers generally come with Windows, its one of those inbuilt by default drivers, CD/DVD drives can have added drivers at times, but not internal HDDs.

I would email their support and ask, most support sites if they are good will respond with good information on how to get around an issue.

5. whicky1978

My laptop is new, so I assume it's a first install of windows home premium. The bios was updated in April 10, right before i bought laptop this may.

I could email the Masscool support desk and see if it works. The main reason I bought the docking station was to recover my documents.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds