Remove incompatible software

Discussion in 'Software' started by dalake, Mar 31, 2011.

1. dalake

dalake Private E-2

I had been using a MS Wireless Laser Keyboard with IntelliType v7 on my old Win XP 32 bit computer. My new computer uses Win 7 64 bit. When I transferred my stuff from 32 bit XP to 64 bit Win 7 the IntelliType moved with everything else, but it doesn't work. I downloaded IntelliType v8 64 bit but it won't install because the old 32 bit version is still there. The old version won't open so that I can run the uninstaller. I also have Revo Uninstaller but it can't see the old IntelliType program. MS help said to reinstall Win 7, so I did but the old 32 bit intelliType is still there and my keyboard doesn't work.

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

When you move your stuff, you're only supposed to move your documents, music, and such, not your programs. They are supposed to be re-installed. The reason you're in a quandry now is because the intellitype program was copied over, but the necessary entries in the registries to me it work, and to make in uninstallable, weren't copied over.

Your best bet is to back up your documents, and only your documents, and do a fresh install of windows, then install your programs, and lastly, restore your data from backup.

3. dalake

dalake Private E-2

I had the old computer for a number of years and no longer had all the original disks for all the programs on it. I used LapLink PC Mover to make the change and it moved everything. It put all the 32 bit programs in a separate folder.

I reinstalled Windows 7 but I didn't format the hard drive first. My Win 7 disk is an upgrade from Vista. I bought my new computer with Vista 64 bit, moved all my stuff from the XP machine and a few months later upgraded Vista to Win 7.

Is there any other way to get rid of that old program other than scrubbing the hard disk?

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

The problem is likely to revolve around the fact that this was an upgrade from Vista to W7, the forums are full of problems tied to that. A clean install is always preferable.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds