PHILIPS CD/RW 400 Series.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by biogenesis, Jan 21, 2010.

1. biogenesis

biogenesis Sergeant

Recently someone gave me a very old computer, it had one of these in it, they said it sat around for a couple years. I ripped the PC apart, threw a lot of it one of my random junk boxes, sat a few parts aside, like the PSU and Disc drives, I noticed one of them was a CD burner but since the computer is SO OLD! I didn't know if the Burner would even be worth keeping or if it'd burn insainly slow. I think this is the same one. http://www.epinions.com/cmhd-Removable_Storage-All-Philips_PC_Internal_CDRW_400_Series

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

If I remember correctly a 4X CD burner takes about 20 minutes to burn a full CD. Not unbearable but fairly annoying if you are going to burn a lot of CDs.

Back when they came out I used to use packet writing software that meant 30+ minutes to format the CD then 20+ minutes to write it--Yuck! Then half of them were unreadable on other PCs even after finalizing.

I don't think you have to pre-format anything these days so it may not be too bad. But compared to a minute or two for a newer CD writer it may not be fun.

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

I had a couple of those drives, years ago - never had a problem with them (in fact, they may be still out in my storage shed) - they might be handy to have as an emergency backup, but I agree with sach: you can get great burners now for almost pocket change...

4. biogenesis

biogenesis Sergeant

well i didn't have a burner in the first place cause I'm a poor mo fo.
    So maybe it'll be better than nothing at all.

5. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

You can get a decent IDE burner that runs at 20xx burn speed for about £15-20.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds