XP home, NIC oddity

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fw190, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

XP home, 2 NICs, both do same thing.
    Will not resolve a DHCP address, if I put in a static then it works fine. This happens to both NICs, in two different PCI slots on the board, but here's the kicker. It's not all software because a USB NIC that I have works fine. Unit has been reimaged.

So, is it possible that this emachine mainboard just doesn't like NICs?

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

have you done an image with out the NIC's and put them in after the fact to see if imaging was the cause?

3. nickson2

nickson2 Master Sergeant

seems like ronnie may have same problem, his machine is an emachine running xp, modem works through usb, but refuses through NIC

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I had this problem recently.

It was because the cable provider required the Mac address of the original NIC.

So I had to clone the mac address of the original NIC before I could get an IP.

Of course, that was with a router.

So what are you connecting to?

5. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

wasn't an issue of mac addresses, seems that the emachine just doesn't like any cheap nic. Customer had bought a realtek rebadged as a belkin, I had tried an ADMtek. Took out my d-link DFE-530 that I had lieing around and it worked. Put in a 3com 905b and it worked fine too. Ronnie may want to try either of those nics in his. This one was a celeron 900. I suspect some form of an 810 or 815 chipset

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds