Dead Desktop ? Cause

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DavidGP, Apr 11, 2015.

1. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Never had this before, even though I have suggested it as the cause of a none booting PC in the past. Went to turn on my desktop this morning and nada! HUH... the thoughts of dread and changing or swapping out parts rushed over me, but weirdly thought mobo battery, did I have a spare... damn gave a spare mobo away a while ago!

Searched the house and found a brand new in packet (sound like Sheldon Cooper) CR2032 in my parts bin, dada! apart from resetting the BIOS date/time and options all fired up.

Ever had similar simple issues that your first thought was right (Occam's razor)?

2. DavidGP

Yeah its that try the easy stuff first if you think of it, my first thought was swapping hardware, until I reigned myself back in and battery was simple swap, luckily.

But like what you have is a more difficult set of checks, get the simple stuff out of the way then systematically check various parts.

Hate it when you likely know the fix but dont have parts to hand, I'm screwed if I need to deal with an AMD CPU as I only use Intel, so have only Intel boards or should I say board now and thats in my Server box.

3. DavidGP

Oh well thats a bummer we are too far away to share!

Wow a PIII thats going back a bit, weird looking CPUs those, look more like RAM.

4. DavidGP

That card takes me back a while, as does the game.

Was thinking of the early gfx cards I used and Matrox was one I used to buy.

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Very interesting David. I would think the computer would POST, maybe give a prompt to go into setup, like they sometimes do when you reset the CMOS. Will keep that trick in mind for the future!:cool

My main PC died on me last week. I gave it a good dust cleaning, hooked up a hard drive I was trying to format at work, and poof, fans turn for a little bit, then it goes off. Now, I work on printers, computers and such a lot at work, so the last thing I want to do is fook around with my own PC! I have 'important emails (FaceBook notifications) and games to play!

I was thinking mobo, RAM, all that stuff. Took a break, took the dog for a walk, and it hit me, most common thing to cause this is the PSU. And sure enough, my less than a year old OCZ PSU had tanked. Hooked up an older one, and it has been good as used ever since.

Will remember that battery replacement trick, certainly a whole lot easier than swapping out a bunch of parts. And easy to test with a meter if you don't have a battery on hand.

And, if you reset your CMOS or change the battery, make sure you hit Save and Exit in the BIOS, not Exit when reseting the date/time... Or you may have problems going to some websites like Google, and then waste a couple of hours trying to find the browser hijack you 'think' you have. Don't ask me how I know about that. :-D

6. DavidGP

You'd thing Fred but no, no spark to kick the rest into action as the mobo battery is the key part, to starting, you'd think it would just keep date and time, but no. Today had the same happen no booting PC, so new battery! didnt work or did it as on taking out battery and putting it back in the PC fired up!

Is it telling me I need to update!?

@Don... I know weird issues are a PITA, I restarted my desktop 6 times today from cold, and all ok, OK I had not used it in 5 days but that should not be an issue with BIOS battery or is it? generally I use it daily, just tired and using Surface more of late.

7. crookedbandit

crookedbandit Sergeant

ok boys an girls, pull in ur toes but this should go in the desktop help form???
    just wondering...

8. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

lol...nope. It's not a help thread. ;) It's a 'wow, I fixed this issue because I keep old computer parts in my house and has anyone else had the same experience thread'.

Believe me, if there is anyone on this forum that would never post in the wrong forum, it would be David. LOL

9. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I recently had to re-install the drivers for my Lexmark printer after repairing Windows 7. I have done this in the past with no problems. I followed the on-screen instructions word for word. When I connected the USB cable, the mouse pointer froze. I unplugged the mouse and plugged it back in - no luck. Tried the other USB ports (back and front of tower case), nothing. I tried the USB modem and memory sticks - no USB device is working.

Then I restarted - nothing, restarted and selected Windows XP - nothing, restarted and set the BIOS to defaults - nothing, loaded a bootable Ubuntu CD, restarted - nothing, ejected the CD, restarted, managed to open Device Manager using the arrow keys, and it shows no problems.

As this is my only PC and I don't access forums with my smartphone, I phoned an "expert" at a PC retailer that was recommended by a friend. First I was told it's a virus, then Ubuntu doesn't need Windows (that's why I loaded the CD! :confused), and finally I need a new motherboard... and CPU because the socket has changed. I said thank you and goodbye.

I opened the tower case, removed and checked the CMOS battery - 3.14V. While at it, I carefully vacumed the inside of the tower case. I put the battery back, closed the case, and reconnected the cables.

I pressed the power button, the PC started, and everything was back to normal! :celebrate :drink

This experience has helped me help MajorGeeks members (and who knows how many visitors). And it taught me setting the BIOS to default settings and removing/replacing the battery are not the same. :major

10. crookedbandit

crookedbandit Sergeant

ok,ok i'll let 'em slide this time !.....lol

11. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Thanks, was getting ready to try to dodge the ban hammer! :-D:-D

12. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I will see your kitten, and raise you a cat, and a joke.

;):-D

Attached Files:

13. DavidGP

The wrong way!

I kinda think if I need help I will post in the correct forum area, but in the main I will try every which way first that I know, so last resort will be me posting, as it will be a mmm I'm thick and its a simple fix or a really dire complex one.

I posted this as a DURR, as Occams Razor is apt! at times the simple solution is the best, I just had a spark that day on the Mobo battery and PC is fine still now.

14. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Hey David, this was from a few years ago. A friend who owns a panel shop calls me up and says the office pc is making a really bad smell. I ask what sort of smell? He says that it is hard to say but it makes the office girl feel sick. The computer is still working though so what did I think?
    My first thought proved to be correct.
    The first thing I said was "There can't be too much wrong and I am sure when I take off the side it will be something obvious!"

This is what I found

[​IMG]

You know I was right :cool:-D roflmao

15. DavidGP

OMG Joffa a real pic? thats really amazing, glad the PC is still working as not only is the rodent a nasty PC killing thing but the bloody fluff and dust in the fans not good either!

16. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Yeah at the panel shop that dust is in everything. It comes from when they dry sand filler and when they rub back the panels prior to undercoating. In later years they had to put in an extraction fan with a big filter as the new neighbours complained the dust was getting into their food products.
    Was a very smelly job pulling Mickey's hind quarters out of the fan blades coz he went to pieces :(
    BTW I had to change the image file name as it had the panel shop name on the original file LOL

Yeah I don't like roaches either and they are hard to kill and if you squash them there is all the yellow goo ........ ewww gross :(

In 2003 or 2004, I found a tower pc full of red back spiders that were very big and very angry about me disturbing them. Red backs are the same as black widows but have a red stripe on their abdomen and they are very poisonous. I also have a pic somewhere of a mouse crushed to death in the tractor feed rollers of an old Epson dot matrix printer.....when I took off the cover only his tail and one back leg were visible ewww rolleyes

Getting off the subject (but that is what I do LOL) then there was the embarrassment of me taking my almost brand new Panasonic mid drive VHS recorder back to Panasonic under warranty to be told when I went to pick it up that it wasn't going to be covered because they removed three hot wheels cars, a sticky lolly and half a piece of toast covered with peanut butter. I didn't pull off the cover prior because there is an anti tamper warranty seal that if broken voids warranty so that trip cost me $150 :( One of the joys of parenthood that we have a good laugh about now but I remember being pretty angry at the time :-D

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  17. DavidGP

Wow the panel shop is not conducive to PC health I guess and add a rodent and bye bye PC.

Now spiders in my PC apart form the search engine ones is a shuddery thing for me...... you must see some weird *** strange sights Joffa.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds