Dropped Windows Phone

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Adrynalyne, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Loved the OS, hated the shortcomings. In the end, the app gapp killed it for me.

I'll give it a shot again if the app gapp ever improves.

2. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

Very cool. I've never had the pleasure of trying out a Windows phone. So are you using a Droid or iPhone now?

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

:p After you told me you liked it?

:-D

I'm very happy with it. Different deal though, because I had the Windows phone for 2 years and was upgrading to a new phone. I went back and forth between HTC Windows and iphone 6 and went with Windows again. I just love how it works and am not a huge app person. I would have gone to the iPhone just for the apps and decided that wasn't a good enough reason for me.

It's definitely a limitation, though, if you like a lot of apps.

4. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

I still have my old(ish) Nokia E-71. (The one that looks similar to Blackberries), but I am getting a bit old to see the teeny buttons and text nowadays.:(
    Used and liked Win-phones, but yeah, they have their down-sides as well.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I develop Android apps too, so it made sense.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Motorola Droid Turbo 64GB.

[​IMG]

7. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Good to see people that can judge merits and change.
    I stayed with the iPhone (6+) because son and friends have some home grown apps that are pure magic. I call one "Find my friend" because you can choose a contact and an arrow points to him. We use it all the time when we meet or lose each other at car shows. It's surprisingly accurate.
    Nice looking Droid, much better looking than my iPhone.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It is ridiculously overbuilt.

Woven nylon fiber back
    Water resistant
    2560x1440 5.2 in. amoled screen
    Snapdragon 805 quad core @ 2.7ghz + two non-ARM contextual cores for sensors and voice
    3GB ram
    64GB NAND storage (only available with ballistic nylon edition)
    21MP camera with dual flash
    5 microphones

I really do like Windows Phone better than Android, but I couldn't even do something simple like override hardware volume keys because MS doesn't allow access. Then the app gap was terrible too. I found myself relying heavily on my development tablet for apps (which is tough when you wipe it regularly).

9. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

Other than raw storage capacity, that phone out-specs my current laptop...time to upgrade, methinks.

10. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought you'd literally dropped it, on the floor or something... :-D

11. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI Jeremy

Just for curiosity what were the apps you needed to fill that gap?

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Hangouts
    Teamwork
    Harvest
    Chromecast app
    HBO Go
    Google Voice
    Parrot RC app thingy
    CHROME << Not having this impacted my job

If I had these, I would have been happy.

I know some of these had non-officials, but things like harvest and teamwork use work credentials and I don't trust a third party.

13. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Fair point and when a device cannot help you in your work, then alternatives need to be looked for.

14. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

CyanogenMod is a version of Android that comes "rooted" by default, it allows a very large amount of customization to every aspect of the operating system and the use of apps that utilize features of the phone in a way that stock Android might restrict. However, as it's not stock Android, it is usually less stable unless it is highly perfected for a particular device.

$143 seems like a pretty good deal for those specs, depending on the build quality of the device itself it might be worth looking into! My experience with inexpensive import phones is spread across the board. Some are good and some are bad.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds