Silly Americans can't keep their hands off the Royals

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LauraR, Dec 9, 2014.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

:-D

So this has been ALL over the freakin news in the last couple of days! I think it's hysterical that there's nothing better to cover than LeBron James putting his arm around Prince William's wife, Kate.

Here's the thing. They are at an NBA basketball game. That is about as casual as you can possible get on a visit here other than having breakfast at an IHOP diner. On top of that, it is literally second nature to most of us and at least in the case of most people I meet considered rude to not offer your hand in greeting to someone you are meeting. It's basic instinct and a hard habit to break.

On top of that, we are probably very touchy. We like to touch people! Deal with it. :-D

I was just reading this article:
    LeBron James learns royal protocol: Don't touch them

It stated that he put his arm around her and it produced a surprised reaction, then linked to this video of the whole thing: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...-protocol-with-Kate-Duchess-of-Cambridge.html

Now, maybe I'm blind, but I"m really not seeing a shocked or horrified expression on anyone's face.

Here's a quote from the article LOL

Is that true on the naturally disinclined statement?

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

When in Rome?

3. LauraR

Or at least... when in Brooklyn, New York... at a pro basketball game. LOL

Btw...I know there is protocol and that they are actual Royalty and not just the faux royalty that Americans have with their celebrities. I'm just poking fun at both sides. Americans can't seem to break the habit of touching them. Even Michelle Obama did it, and she really should have known better. :-D

4. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

I guess the royals and in particular their supporters have to at least feign indignation at these protocol slips in order to prop up the mythical lifestyle of pomp and ceremony that the royals live. The rules and protocols are all part of the royal heritage and they use these rules and protocols to separate themselves from the common folk ;)

As far as I am concerned it's just a storm in a teacup and the media should report on some real news rolleyes

5. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm neither American nor British.

And I don't care about 'protocol' or 'diplomacy'.

But, personally I think it's rude/disrespectful for a man to put his arm around another man's wife, unless he's good friends with both. If a male puts his arm around a female colleague, he'll be charged with sexual harrasment. rolleyes

And, as usual, the :crap media is going to town...:tas

As joffa said: "the media should report on some real news".

6. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Ummm... if no one is supposed to touch them, then how do we get new royals?

Seriously, it's pretty stupid. Besides, we kicked the British out the first time because we didn't want to follow their rules. They really expect anything to change?

7. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

It's basically the same as me putting my arm around the Prime Minister's wife, (yuck!!), or the President's wife without asking. Do you really think that I could put my arm around Mr's Obama without being at least getting a surprised look, or probably mobbed by Security Staff.

The Royal family isn't the same as a day out with a famous Actor, or something. But yeah, point taken, it was a casual affair. And I think it's just another cheap media gossip thing.

Had problems with some Aussie that was a legend in his own mind, too and did a similar thing to the Queen. I think it was that idiot ex-P.M. Paul Keating, who is an anti-Royalist Irishman at best.

(And yeah I am a U.S. Citizen and British so get to perceive both sides.)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  8. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

If Lebron James touched my wife I''d pretend I didn't see too:-D Big guy

Nope, no petting the animals. If the Royals start sniffing your crotch you just have to wait till their done.

9. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

I've never really understood the media's (and a lot of non media people's) fascination with royalty or, as LauraR put it, faux royalty. There are people I am a fan of (like Kate Upton) but my fandom doesn't come to the level seen in cases like that with the Royal family or some movie stars.

Touching protocols do have their levels, I guess - situations where touching is more accepted then in other situations. I think it can often be generational as well. Elderly people often have less inhibition, it seems, when it comes to touching a casual acquaintance.

I also have observed (and feel) that touching when done by females is more accepted in mixed company, as females are perceived to be more affectionate generally and open with gestures - such as touching someone while speaking with them, for example - so it isn't taken to be overt or any kind of a threat as it might be if a male does it. All this is just my opinion, I am no expert in human relations, lord knows . . . but this is what I have observed. From a courtesy standpoint, you should not touch anyone you do not know. It's just polite. :)

I personally don't mind a casual touch, as there is a big difference between a touch and being laid a hand on . . . now there we'd have issues. I agree with John Wayne's character in The Shootist: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

(Kate Upton excluded of course :-D)

10. LauraR

As far as the arm thing...not an unusual thing in the US when people meet celebrities and get their pic taken with them. Often you will see that. Its just a thing. They are used to people wanting the photo like that. There was no offense intended by James. I can guarantee you he would not have just done that if they were standing there talking and there wasn't a camera for a photo op. And btw, Lebron James is one of the biggest superstar athletes the US has. Even if you don't watch basketball, you know who he is. So, it definitely wouldn't be like you or me doing it.

I gotta say, I do think it's generational or regional. We are very touchy in our area. Mostly family, friends, and close acquaintances. Depending on the person, there is always a kiss or hug...male and female. A handshake is pretty formal and used with strangers or acquaintances you are not close to. Not touching someone is just plain rude most of the time.

So for me, the idea of another man laying their hands on someone's wife being bad (obviously in a friendly way and not sexual) is really kind of foreign.

11. Phantom

Personally, I don't care what he, or anyone else does to anyone, as long as they are not hurt and it is with prior permission. After all, we wouldn't let stranger touch our belongings, just by assumption.
    To me, it is disrespectful in the case of Royalty, just because they are Royalty. We are are not talking about a "celebrity" here, they are representatives of a country, and like it or not, an Empire. (Yes, the Empire still exists, but obviously tiny compared to what it was, anyway Australia is part of the Commonwealth).
    Not so much with Kate, but with the Queen, as I said before, certainly - since it's a Nation that is being represented.
    It's just common sense, mainly. I like physical contact from my close friends, (female, lol!). But yeah a hand-shake, or just "Goodbye" in other cases.

Bit different when you're a guy. Anything out of place and you quickly become a "Perve" - Ha!, ha!...:-D

On a quasi-note:- There's new law being passed in Australia which makes it illegal for Women, (I assume ;)), to go around touching women on the stomach, just because they are pregnant and they think they are being cute.

12. LauraR

Yep...they are royalty and really I'm just poking fun at the media and Americans more than anything (for anyone who hasn't figured it out...I'm American). :)

However, in a more serious vein, in America, we don't have royalty and really can't relate to the whole concept...at least most of us. Our culture doesn't lend itself to respecting an institution that is earned just by being born into it. It's like our 'high society' or 'bluebloods'...the DuPonts, Rockefellers, etc. That is pretty much meaningless to most of the country. The only people it means anything to are those families and the others who consider themselves to be part of that society. So really...I would say that we would consider them more celebrities as seen in tabloids and on tv than anything.

I would expect that it would be far far less likely that anyone would touch the queen. William and Kate are a lot more approachable and normal looking...especially as seen at the basketball game. I would also expect that they don't come here expecting the same steadfast rules as at home. I think the media probably made more of it than they did.

While I always found it to be one of the oddest things to do when some people feel inclined to touch a pregnant woman's stomach, I think a law is probably overkill. LOL

13. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

I think Kate handled the situation, however awkward, with grace and poise. Still I would assume most Americans would know it is not proper to put your arm around Royalty or for that matter the wife of the US President unless you were personal friends. Yes I think James is use to fans wanting a photo op but just being Lebron James Super Basketball Celebrity does not mean you can cross that line of protocol, I would think there was a briefing on that before the introductions happen and he did it anyway.;) Just my opinion.

14. Phantom

Yes, I hear you on all that, but the Queen does more than just sit on a throne, (which she never does after Coronation, anyway) and go to functions. There is a definite legal function(s), too. The Queen gave one of our P.M.'s the sack , not that many years ago, so the Queen's legal power and status is very real, (for Aust., I mean). ~ Mind you - the punk deserved it, i.m.o., lol!:p

15. LauraR

Agreed on both your points. :)

Honestly, I think American celebrities think way too highly of themselves as well. I think we've created the monster, though.

16. Anon-9aee479f8f

Agree! Especially the younger ones. :-o

17. Phantom

:Same problem with the over-hype here, primarily by the media for their own financial gains. Really, I just consider people like Entertainers, Actors, Sports persons, etc. as just doing a job. A job in the public's eye, but a job non-the-less.
    Oh, B.T.W.:- Almost nobody has even heard of Lebron James over here. Basketball aint that big Down-under, lol.:-o

18. Anon-9aee479f8f

I enjoy youth through high school baseball, football and basketball, and am a huge fan of college basketball, but honestly I think the Pros egos are to big and they are way over paid.

19. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I got a kick out of it. My thinking is that they are not really royalty here. This is 'Merica, if you visit, deal with it. :-D If you want all the protocol followed, stay around embassy, and gubement types.

Ahh, there are people that want to hug her? :-D

Maybe the difference is our 'royals' have to get re elected, the royals in GB are born into it.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  20. Anon-9aee479f8f

LOL Maybe not.

21. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Seriously?
    Maybe it's to save them from embarrassment. :-o Not all pregnant-looking woman are pregnant...rolleyes

And the same applies to men...:-D:-D:-D

22. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

:p In America the only hereditary power I can think of is the Mafia.

23. Rikky

And the Bush family.

And the Kennedy's.

You vote for which runner wins, but who gets to run is decided 'by' people of certain heritage 'from' people with a certain heritage.

EDIT And the Royals have no power, they are figureheads. Sometimes they write a letter to the prime minister and it gets read but they have no lawful influence.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  24. LauraR

Ummm...can you say 'Obama'? LOL

I'd be shocked if another Kennedy or Bush was ever elected again.

25. Phantom

Nope, that's what most people think, and to some extent, it is that way today for obvious reasons, because times change. However, many legal powers still technically remain, even though unlikely to be used, apart from emergencies. Do you really think the Queen dismissing our P.M. back in the 70's is "no real power"? rolleyes. She can technically order you or I to the tower for a good hanging for Treason in times of war and yeah, it was done during WWII.

26. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

One from "those families" maybe, but Kennedy and Bush aren't exactly rare last names...a quick search of my college's nameserv gives me more than 100 students with the last name Bush or Kennedy :p

27. Rikky

Yeah but he was a dick.:-D I have no idea what I'm talking about, first I've heard of it.

28. Phantom

We have a thing called a Governor General, (The Queen's Representative), plus The Privy Council, meaning one could appeal direct to H.M.'s, power of Appeal above High Court. So, yeah, not exactly powerless.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judicial_Committee_of_the_Privy_Council

To find the ex-P.M. that got Canned - look up Gough Whitlam, who died the other week, (can I say Yay!, LoL!).

You don't remember because you are too you recent, young Grasshopper....:p

29. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

30. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

lmfao!

31. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I'm surprised they didn't take George with them like they did to Australia.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds