avira anti-virus internal error on update

Discussion in 'Software' started by Roby, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Roby

Roby Private E-2

Hi folks: I guess I asked this question in the wrong area yesterday. But,
    I just got a new computer 3 weeks ago and installed avira free on it right away. There wasn't any other anti-virus installed on this system when I bought it, so I didn't have to uninstall anything.
    On Oct. 5th during a manual update of the virus definitions, at about 20 to 30
    percent thru the update, it quit downloading and reported and internal error.
    I have tried updating every day since, and is doing the same thing; even if I
    turn off my firewall.
    I have windows XP, and super anti-spyware installed
    Avira update worked fine for awhile
    any ideas short of uninstalling and doing over??

2. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

Don't use Avira but did you check the about window and see if you need a key or registration number, also was there a trial of other antivirus software already installed prior?

3. duckfeet

duckfeet Corporal

Yeah, I'm one of those people who like Avira, but I realized you had the free edition, and I now have the paid one, and let them do the updates...I have heard of people having to re-install Avira after periods of time, to get the updates for the free version. I think I paid before I had to go to manual install, and then I have them downloaded automatically...

Hopefully someone will come along who knows more about it, but just wanted to chime in, as I'm following this thread, and I migh setup avira free on a desktop unit I'm trying to sell....

4. Roby

Roby Private E-2

thanks for taking the time to respond to my problem!!! I appreciate the help.
    Roby

5. knucklebum

knucklebum Private E-2

Do a manual update (update tab>manual update). You have the download the ivdf file first here and point to this file in the manual update process.

http://www.avira.com/en/support/vdf_update.html

For some reason thats the only way I can update Avira on every pc i've ever installed on.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds