ethernet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by peterr, Nov 2, 2010.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello
    I just ordered a pc which has no ethernet port which I used to use.
    I know total cable is more secure than wireless.
    I will connect the router and modem(which has no wirelss capability) to the router with an ethernet cable. Then the router and pc will communiate wirelessly. The pc has internal wirelss capability.
    Access point , WAP, password and 20 character passphrase.
    Have I sacrificed much security?
    I used to use the router to communicate with the laptop so I thought broadcasting was the same. The broadcast would be after the router so I hope that is some measure of protection.
    I can return it for one with an ethernet port if necessary.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Thank you for the adapter idea.
    I am confused about the advisability of doing as I am as opposed to cables.
    When you broadcast to a laptop it all occurs after the router as in my case so I can't see the difference between doing this (broadcating to two pcs) and broadcasting to the laptop.
    If there was no cable between the modem and router, it would seem to be a different story but the broadcasting occurs after the router.
    Am I missing something?

4. plodr

Your router broadcasts to the world at large (all wireless routers do this). If you do not secure your router, someone can piggyback on your connection.

If I lived close enough to you and had a powerful wireless dongle, I'd see your wireless SSID.

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

And be surfing on the Internet on his dime.

6. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I checked with Dell and all machines come through with ethernet ports. The sales person was incorrect. So, I will use cables from the modem to the router and then to the pc.
    Is it advisable not to broadcast?
    Perhaps I could not broadcast unless using the laptop then return to not broadcasting while using just the desktop.
    I imagine everyone with a laptop at home and a desktop must broadcast unless one has an ethernet cable they run to the laptop.
    This sounds like keeping my car in the garage always will be safer than driving but not practical.

7. plodr

False information posted a few years back said turn off broadcasting. It has since been corrected; it makes no difference. If someone has a powerful enough "sniffer" they will find your signal.

8. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

I could be totally off on this, but I THINK he's using the term 'broadcasting' to refer to 'using wifi on the router'.

OP:

In that case, wifi is secure as long as you use encryption (WPA, WPA2, etc... settings which will be in your router configuration).

9. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Thank you for correcting my commingling of the terms broadcasting and use of wifi.
    I am sorry for the confusion it has caused and I thank you for the reply about this issue regarding the use of wifi as that is what I meant to say.
    My router is configured appropriately.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds