Hard Drive Imaging or clone

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sanjbin, Aug 30, 2008.

1. sanjbin

sanjbin Private E-2

i am using Dell Dimension desktop with window xp home..and 40 gb hard disk...now become olsd and slow ...i just purchased a Maxtor 200 GB hard drive and i want to transfer all my operating system from old drive to new drive...what is the best procedure?I heard that some motherboard doesnt support larger than 130 GB drive is that true?Due to lack of knowledge in computer can u explain me step by step process how to do it?Thanks in Advance..:confused

2. sanjbin

sanjbin Private E-2

BTW It is Dell dimension 3000 desktop

3. Layzie Bone

Layzie Bone Private E-2

True, but not your case...

Your best bet is going to be Norton Ghost...

You'll need to have this on a cd, boot to it, when you're in Norton Ghost, you'll simply choose the scource and destination drive.

If you use Acronis, you'll then have to resize the partition, as Acronis retains the original parition size...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  4. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

Actually, in Acronis you can tell it to clone and resize partitions proportionately, which will cause the partitions to resize according to hard drive size. This saves you from having to re-size them manually.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Some hard drives come with software or software can be download that will let you migrate everything from the olf hard drive to the new maxtor.

Here it is Maxblast 5
    http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=7add8b9c4a8ff010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

notice how it says, Data Migration? Click on your language in the right column where it says Learn More and see if it will allow you to simple move everything from the old hard drive to the new.

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I use XXClone. Nice free program. http://www.majorgeeks.com/XXCLONE_d5534.html

Just hook the new drive up as a slave, and run XXClone, then click the make bootable button.

Done deal.

But if your computer is that slow, how is a new hard drive going to help? Is it a higher RPM? You might be better off just reinstalling the OS.

Good luck!

E

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  7. sanjbin

sanjbin Private E-2

Thank you all of u for ur suggestion...ok if i clone it the do i have to open the case and change the jumper setting of the both drive?cos i want new drive as primary...Fred, just my asssumption that old drive which i am using since last 3 years is wear & tear..if i installed new one may be its fresh drive and hope it would perform faster..dont know about old dr ..but new one is 7200rpm..what do u suggest?
    thanx once again

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Yes, if you are going to clone it, you will need the drive hooked up as a slave, then once you make it bootable, you will have to change the jumpers to make it the master.

As for your PC slowdown, you might want to look at this:http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=106650

Good luck.

E

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds