Windows 7 SP1 Update Error Code 8024200D

Discussion in 'Software' started by pauliwood, Aug 24, 2011.

1. pauliwood

pauliwood Private First Class

Good day fine folks at MG. Many unsucessful attempts to install Service Pack 1 on a co-worker's Pc. Keep getting the Error Code: 8024200D.

I've tried using MS System Readiness Tool and I've also used the MS Update Troubleshooting Tool.

My other option is to open communication with Microsoft via e-mail. Thought I might get a better response from the fine folks over here.

Anyone have a solution for this?

System is:
    Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 Bit

Not sure you need hardware specs but here they are:
    Asus Laptop
    Pentium Dual Core Processor, 2.3GHz
    Ram - 4 GB

Thank you for any suggestions.

Regards,

Paul

2. pauliwood

Manually downloaded the SP1 update and trying that now.

I also shut off virus protection and firewall while doing the update, as MS has suggested that being a possible cause to updates not installing.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. pauliwood

Thanks for the reply. I tried that, just called it the wrong thing in my original post.

I actually got it to work. I entered live chat with Microsoft, took most of the night. 2 Tech Reps. One uninstalled all my protection software not just disabled it, ran MS Fixit. Still no luck. Second rep had me download Windows 7 64 and burn it onto a DVD. He had remote control so I saw come come to this website and download a tool to recover the Product Key since it is not my laptop and I don't have the installation DVD. I chuckled when I saw that, even Microsoft uses Majorgeeks !!

Anyhow, he had me burn that to a DVD, then run an Upgrade Installation.
    This failed the first time, as i got a message I was out of room. I re-booted, tried again, and got that to finish.

He then had me install SP1 first before any other updates by downloading the SP1 file to my HDD, and that worked, I then continued on and got the other 100 or so updates and now the system is up to date.

Figured I'd pass on the solution in case anyone else is getting that error.

He said the root cause was corrupted update files and by doing an update installation, that would correct those.

And it worked.

Thanks again.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Sounds like you were put through the paces by MS. Thanks for reporting back what worked.

Bottom line, I guess, if you are having problems, call MS and get them to fix Windows so the security patches can be installed.

6. pauliwood

Eh, crap shoot on who you get I guess. The first guy was nice and all, he just didn't have the solution. I also sensed he was new at this, as he went afk away to check on things a lot. I believe if we had gone the route of running the installation upgrade first, it would have saved me some time.

I also asked them for a root cause based on the code windows generated. First tech wasn't able to give me an answer. Second tech simply said corrupt files but could not elaborate on how or why they got corrupt.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds