computer wont post

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by unc1, Oct 3, 2004.

1. unc1

unc1 Private E-2

Just bought new machine.
    MSI 865 gm2 mobo
    p4 2.8/800 processor
    on board intel graphics and sound
    serial ata hdd
    windows xp home
    512 mb of 3200 ddr
    It worked fine for two days. The only software I put on it was ms office. I then turned it off and plugged an old hp 800 series deskjet into it. Turned it back on and it wont boot to the post screen. I un-plugged the printer and turned back on--still nothing. I unplugged everything and let it sit for thirty min, still nothing. What have I done to kill my machine? Ive checked all connections to board, they look fine. When I power it up, the power light comes on and appears to be going through the boot sequence, then nothing, no vid signal or anything. Any help will be appreciated.

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Could Lot of things.
    Recheck connections again.
    Possible memory failure or timmings set too agressive.
    When you try to boot, Hear any beeps?

Reset cmos, should be instruction in mobo manual.
    Then when you powerup, dont try to boot to windows, go directly to Bios.
    When cmos or mobo is reset usually bios returns to default settings.
    If your able to access bios check all settings, set to suite your needs, and relax your memory timings.
    Then try to boot to windows.
    See if that gets you anywhere.
    Also note any beeps when posting or booting, the beeps will help diagnose your problem.

Last thought dont hook up that printer yet or any other extra hardware, stick to basic stuff, till your up and runing again.

3. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

i might add to set the memory timings by the SPD .. there should be a setting in the "advanced chipset feature" menu "memory timings by spd" that should be set to "enable"

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Not all memory can be set by SPD, many require manual settings, So to know what your memory is rated for is helpful.

If this is the problem?

5. unc1

unc1 Private E-2

Thanks anyway, but still no luck. I reset the cmos, re-booted, and still nothing. I dont have beeps that would indicate an error code. I think the machine is going back to the vendor.

6. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

I'd initially check the video card... but since it's an onboard that's a little tough unless you swap mobos =/

And of course... If you can return it to the vendor that's the best option. Good luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds