Overclocking problems with Asus A8V-XE MB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ilikeblood, May 13, 2008.

1. ilikeblood

ilikeblood Private E-2

I have an Asus A8V-XE motherboard (Socket 939) with AMD athlon 64 1.8ghz venice 3000+. bios ver. 702. i set the multiplier to 9x the fsb to 400 but when i go on to my os every program i ran says that i still have 1.8ghz, 9x, 200fsb then i go into my bios it says i have 1.8ghz and 400 fsb and 9x multiplier. i tried changing my fsb and nothing. the multiplier works like it should. just the fsb all it does is show that its 400 in bios but has no affect at all. please help:cry

2. ilikeblood

ilikeblood Private E-2

i also tried clockgen, cpufsb and softfsb none of them have my PLL or MB i checked a list that shows which are overclockable pll's and which arent it doesnt show my pll in either lists.

3. ilikeblood

ilikeblood Private E-2

Also my PLL is ICS 953202BFLF. My Chipset is VIA K8T890 . i have a kingwin water cooling system which keeps my cpu idle at 30-35C and Full load 35-45C i have an Stock air cooled Asus X1550 ati video card overclocked at 650Mhz Core Clock, 550Mhz Mem Clock and its stable. My memory is A-Data (2x1Gb) DDR2 (PC3200) timings are (2.5-3-3-7) at 200Mhz. I Just Cant overclock my Processor I cant find any program that is Compatible With my PLL or Chipset. Overclocking my CPU in Bios wont work for some reason. Heres a link to some pix that might help http://cpugpupix.googlepages.com/home
    . SO if anybody know wat may be the problem or if anybody knows a program that might work please tell me. thanks.

4. ilikeblood

ilikeblood Private E-2

can anybody help me or not or should i just get a new mobo?

5. Trussman

Trussman Private First Class

WOW! that processor can't handle that much over clocking. The multiplier should be at 9x which is what it runs, and if the FSB is set at 400. You are trying to to push a standard 1.8 GHz to 3.6 GHz. That CPU can't only handle about 2.4 GHz, which figures the FSB to be set around 266. To be safe and get a longer life span with it, I wouldn't set it about 245, thats 2.2 GHz

6. ilikeblood

ilikeblood Private E-2

well the multiplier is fine i can set it lower and i meant the fsb it doesnt matter what i set it to i tried little by little and it had no affect i set it to 250 had no affect set it to 230 had no effect i set it to 400 and nothing it just shows in the bios what i set it to and in the bios it say 1.8ghz multiplier x9 and fsb 250 i change it to 400 it says 400 but its still 1.8ghz and in the os it says on cpuz and everthing else 200fsb an 1.8ghz im guessing i need a new mobo. can anybody help me otherwise ill just get a new mobo before they run outa socket 939 mobos

7. TollhouseFrank

TollhouseFrank Private First Class

are you saving settings before exiting bios?

8. ilikeblood

ilikeblood Private E-2

yea i save it.did u see where i said said the multiplier works fine... and im currently changin the mobo just not sure if the one im putting in works

9. TollhouseFrank

TollhouseFrank Private First Class

it is possible you got a 'bum' cpu that won't overclock no matter what. sometimes it happens.

10. ilikeblood

ilikeblood Private E-2

dunno the motherboard i just put i works now im gonna install is completely an tell you if overclocking on this one will work

11. Trussman

Trussman Private First Class

Did the other MB come preinstalled with a package deal from like dell, gateway, hp, compaq, acer, etc. If so it might have a factory bios lock and won't let you overclock it.

Just a thought!

12. ilikeblood

ilikeblood Private E-2

no i dont buy pcs like those i dont really like em i build my own my motherboard i put it is a jetway 939agp-p

13. ilikeblood

ilikeblood Private E-2

k guys it was the mobo well anyway the mobo i just installed helped me alot since my last mobo had pci express so the best i had was a asus x1550 for an and on the mobo i can finally use a agp bfg 6800 ultra an i can now peacefully overclock my processor

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds