CD/DVD RW problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lilmissnumpty, Jan 18, 2007.

1. lilmissnumpty

lilmissnumpty Private E-2

Hi

I am not sure wether this is a hardware problem but I didn't know where else to start. For the last few days every time I try to copy something or burn a CD/DVD I always get either reading error or recording error messages. The CD's/DVD's are all brand new so it can't be things like fingerprints, scratches etc. I have looked for updates on both drives and they seem to be up to date. Any idea what could be wrong? If I need to post this elsewhere than I apologise already.

2. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Go to Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager.then open by clicking your DVD Icons ,then right click and uninstall.. reboot and you will be allocated a new driver. That should fix it hopefully :)

3. lilmissnumpty

Done as suggested. Although procedure worked as described it doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. Anything else I could try?

4. ironhead

ironhead Private E-2

iIhope i am not out of line but I too have just encountered what I beleive to be the same problem. I cannot get my cd drive to recognize any blank cds and have also tryed updating the drivers.

5. lilmissnumpty

Hi Ironhead

Yes, in addition to the problems above, I also had blank CD's rejected with the message 'please insert blank CD/DVD. They are definitely compatible with the drives too as they have always worked fine before. Hopefully somebody can shed some light on this. confused

6. ironhead

ironhead Private E-2

ty lil miss I am hoping that someone can help

7. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Are you saying that it is only the Blank discs that are not being recognised... ie. it will read a disc with data onboard?? also are these ordinary CD-R or DVD-R not RW.. and what software are you using to burn? can you drag & drop ?? if this doesn't work try uninstalling your software and re-install.

8. lilmissnumpty

Hi Toke

I am sorry if I don't explain myself properly. All in all I appear to have three seperate problems:

1) When I try to copy and burn a DVD (all owned and for backup only) I get reading errors even though the originals are free of scratches, fingerprints etc. (I use 1 click DVD)

2) When trying to copy audio CD's they appear to copy ok but I get a problem whilst disc is burning (recording error). Again the media is brandnew.

3) Every now and then I would get the message to insert a blank CD/DVD even though it was (if that makes sense rolleyes )

Please let me know if I am not very clear and I shall try again (I think I chose my username wisely :D )

9. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I hate to say it, but it sounds like the drive could be defunct. The lasers in those suckers have a definate shelf life. Have you used this device a lot? Even if it is new, stuff does go bad (or was bad to begin with).

Having said that they should be good for several years of constant use. They are a lot like hard drives in that sense. If you have any techie friends they can be replace DVD drives fairly cheaply, although that is a last resort.

My personal machine has a LG DVD-ROM/CDRW that has gone past it's life cycle. It will burn CDs and CDRWs, but not reliably. I added a Sony DVD+/-RW burner and use the LG for routine use to save wear and tear on the Sony. A new DVD +/- dual layer RW drive can be had for $60, maybe even less, if you shop, and can be had from common sources like Walmart or Staples. I usually order mine online.

10. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Yes lol Love the Nick :) Did you try reinstalling Nero or whatever software you use ?? Try this before we go for extreme measures like flashing the pesky thing using Firmware if it is available. Now this may seem crazy but has worked for me in the past and for what reason I do not know. Reverse Master/Slave setup of the 2 Burners/Roms.Also did you try the 'Drag & Drop method. Another thought if you are using Nero try burning using the backup facility.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds